Author Topic: Bleeding the front brake  (Read 1695 times)

UK_KX500

Bleeding the front brake
« on: September 30, 2004, 09:39:11 PM »
After splitting the brake hosing last weekend i need to refill and bleed the front brake!  Any tips on how to do this quickly and efficiently!

Cheers

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
Bleeding the front brake
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 01:03:26 AM »
1. Use a long (1.5 m) piece of see-through tube (inner diameter = snug fit to bleed valve) and attach it to the bleeding valve.
2. Suck (using your mouth) until you have under-pressure in the tube.
3. Open the bleed valve.
4. Keep an eye on the brake fluid level in the reservoir and the fluid level in the tube.
5. Whilst still sucking, close the bleed valve; a) when you cannot see any more air-bubbles in the tube, b) when the level is to low in the reservoir and c) before you are throwing up brake fluid. :wink:

Don?t open the bleed valve too much. Open it just enough so you can suck out the oil / air and close it quick.

You could also use the ?conventional? way to bleed your brake fluid. I recommend you still use a see-through tube though. It?s easier to spot air-bubbles and changes in the colour of the brake fluid.
1. Pump up pressure in the system and keep it pressurised
2. Whilst under pressure, open the bleed valve (not too much)
3. Whilst still under pressure, close the bleed valve.
4. Redo from point 1.

The reason for point 3 is that when you release the brake pedal or handle, the system will not only release the pressure but also suck air back into the system through the bleed valve - unless it?s closed.

I always do the tube exercise and finish of with a couple of conventional cycles. That way you can test how the brakes feel. If it?s mushy you probably still have air in the system.

//John

Rick

Bleeding the front brake
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 09:26:39 AM »
You may also need to bleed the brake while holding the caliper above the reservoir to get some of those tuff to get air bubbles out.  On the KX125, I ran a whole can of fluid through before I was able to work out all the bubbles, and only then after hold the caliper higher than the reservoir to get the bubbles out of the line.  I also use a hand pump bleeder, as it is quick and easy...after the initial bleed.  (I replace my rear fluid once a month.)

Good luck

Rick