Author Topic: 2002 KX500 Team Green Factory Bike - no Engine Numbers?  (Read 14837 times)

Offline shortnugly

2002 KX500 Team Green Factory Bike - no Engine Numbers?
« on: November 04, 2012, 05:39:27 PM »
Got a KX500 Team Green Factory Bike -  top end rebuilt, but cannot find the engine numbers.

Usually found on the top block next to the oil filter?

Is there anything special done in rebuilding the top end that would eliminate the engine numbers?

Are they found anywhere else?

Offline DoldGuy

Re: 2002 KX500 Team Green Factory Bike - no Engine Numbers?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 11:59:27 PM »
New cases do not come stamped with numbers.....the cases most likely have been replaced.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 12:51:56 AM »
Does your bike have a VIN stamped on the head tube of the frame?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline shortnugly

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 02:00:59 AM »

The bike was rebuilt some time ago so I'm assuming it has a new case.

Yes, the VIN numbers are stamped on the head tube.

Just trying  to find out the engine ID numbers.

Anywhere else these numbers could be found?

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 01:52:35 PM »
Not that I am aware of.
Sorry.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 04:19:54 PM »
Not that I am aware of.
Sorry.

some Team bikes didnt have motor numbers...

as well as if you buy a NEW set of cases from kaw.   they dont come with numbers.. (most likly your reason)..   as most team bikes have numbers I have seen .. (mine included)    they would just pull one off the line...

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 03:08:55 AM »
My ex Team Green bike came with numbers on the cases, but they didn't match the VIN number on the frame. What a blast that was at the DMV!

The Team Green mechanics told me they would send a batch of motors off to a builder, Varner Motorsports in my case, and swap them around in their race/practice bikes. All of the motors had the same clearances, porting, pistons, etc., they just put different exhaust and and some modified carburetors on some of the riders bikess. They said that the motors were slightly modified (mild porting, no radical compression. Heck, mine runs perfect on 91 octane!), but they weren't too far off from stock specs because reliability would diminish in the races such as the Baja 1000. The few Team Green desert KX500s I've either worked on or have seen the internal components, even had stock reeds/cages, which you would think would be an easy way to make more power. In the desert, more power can equal more tire spin and more wear. Go a few hundred miles and there goes any horsepower difference!

On a side note, just a few weeks back they had a District 37 race in which the course traversed part of a dry lake bed. Someone had a radar (check it out here: http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55077) and the fastest pro bike was Kurt Caselli's 450 KTM at 95mph. I can remember when I was a teenager, and I was avidly racing desert when the KX500 ruled everything. Every time there was a radar around (a motorcycle club called the Badgers had a bunch of cops in it and one had a radar gun) all of the pros 500's would do well over 105 mph on the dry lake beds and this was over 20 years ago! Testament to big bore two strokes! I remember my old man telling me to hit my kill button every once in a while when I was racing my KX250 over the dry lake beds just to give the cylinder a coat of oil without the fire. Used to see a lot of seized bikes out there from guys that just wouldn't let off.