Author Topic: '09 500AF build  (Read 192245 times)

Offline jBernard

'09 500AF build
« on: October 26, 2012, 10:53:04 AM »
Hey guys.
Been putting off posting my build for quite some time now. After having the original 09' kx250f bought, stripped down, and engine sold, its been almost a year.  :cry:
had a ton of dead time mixed in there, from new jobs, to 65hr work weeks, to girlfriend and 3 kids moving in with me. project got put on the back burner, but i was always reading on here and thinking of things to do to her. now i've been trying my hardest to get things rolling again.

heres a few sneak peaks of the progress ive made along the way within the last month or so. taking rails to get welded in tomorrow. so after that its engine positioning, swingarm and motor mount spacer building, then the real fun starts!!!!

I'll be making a blog here shortly with a detailed write up journal, way better photos and more detailed info  :-D

Solidworks Yoke design, using gusseted joints instead of butt welds. 

Solidworks Ti 6AL4V peg brackets

6061 T6 yoke made per print , Ti peg brackets

Yoke rough fitment

Ti peg bosses, Ti boss pin, Raptor Ti Pegs

Org alum wheel spacers, New ones being made out of Ti bar stock, gonna be anodized blue next

Frame rails bent, and mocked up, getting fitted tomorrow

Applied triple trees, made a threaded offset that will be welded to lower tree so i can use this HPSD stabalizer on my kx!

Hope you guys like my stuff so far. long way to go, but she's getting there!
Taylor

'09 KX500AF - never ending project
'14 KTM 300SX

Offline kxpegger

Re: '09 500AF build
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 12:44:20 PM »
Wow! This is going to be a good one! Cant wait!
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 12:48:40 PM »
Looks great!
Keep the info coming.....
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 03:20:32 AM »
That is some beautiful work! Very nice!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 04:23:57 AM »
That is some beautiful work! Very nice!

Yeah, it makes my build look like it was done with meat cleavers...  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 07:05:55 AM »
I thought that I had a good looking billet yoke, but yours looks much and much better.

Dutch
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline brooksie

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 04:00:30 AM »
Like you, my project has been on the back burner, due to family and work mostly (I'm responding to this thread from up in the Arctic, Northern Canada).

I have lots of new parts in my workshop that I haven't touched. But I've finally got rounbd to getting on with it. Well, I've taken it to a builder and he's just done the frame recently.

That frame yoke looks fantastic! Shame about my timing, otherwise I'd have offered to buy one off you...

Offline cmotodad

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 04:07:00 AM »
Those are some great looking parts. Are any going to be avaliable to purchase? Like the Y. Those are the parts that set a bike apart from others for sure.

Offline jBernard

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 04:35:13 PM »
whew. after a bit of a delay on the guy getting to weld the frame up, i finally got it back.
had to make a few more passes on the welds because looking back i way over engineered the yoke, wall thickness on the joints is way to thick. its .250 and should be .125 or less so it would be more visually matching the frame. but hey, this is version 1 right?  :lol:

in regards to if i'd offer some parts for sale. yes, that is something that is def on the horizon. so stay tuned on that one  :wink:

here are some crappy iphone pics right when i got it back.

'14 KTM 300SX

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 04:39:10 PM »
Wow!
Looking good.
Just curious how you bent your rails?

Offline SHLEPY

• Big Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 04:51:32 PM »
Man oh man where were you a year ago that yoke rocks.

Offline jBernard

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 05:12:30 PM »
rails are 6063 off ebay. was like 14$ for 25'. plenty to mess up on.
took them to a local business that does custom stairs, i knew they would have a decent machine to do bending, since thats all they do.
prebent to about -5* of finish and looked good, no wall caving in at all. made the final tweek and it started to deteriorate just a bit. only on about a 1" area on the outside of the radius (bottom of rail). not that bad and i'd have to point it out. so its just cosmetic.
next one i do i'll fill the rail full of sand, cap both ends then bend to give it some internal resistance from caving as much as possible.

thanks for the kind words shlepy, you can always build another right  :evil:
'14 KTM 300SX

Offline stevea100m

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 08:28:56 AM »
Would love to get ahold of those peg mounts! How much would it cost to have you make a set?

Offline hulkteam476

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 07:20:13 AM »
Hey guys.
Been putting off posting my build for quite some time now. After having the original 09' kx250f bought, stripped down, and engine sold, its been almost a year.  :cry:
had a ton of dead time mixed in there, from new jobs, to 65hr work weeks, to girlfriend and 3 kids moving in with me. project got put on the back burner, but i was always reading on here and thinking of things to do to her. now i've been trying my hardest to get things rolling again.

heres a few sneak peaks of the progress ive made along the way within the last month or so. taking rails to get welded in tomorrow. so after that its engine positioning, swingarm and motor mount spacer building, then the real fun starts!!!!

I'll be making a blog here shortly with a detailed write up journal, way better photos and more detailed info  :-D

Solidworks Yoke design, using gusseted joints instead of butt welds. 

Solidworks Ti 6AL4V peg brackets

6061 T6 yoke made per print , Ti peg brackets

Yoke rough fitment

Ti peg bosses, Ti boss pin, Raptor Ti Pegs

Org alum wheel spacers, New ones being made out of Ti bar stock, gonna be anodized blue next

Frame rails bent, and mocked up, getting fitted tomorrow

Applied triple trees, made a threaded offset that will be welded to lower tree so i can use this HPSD stabalizer on my kx!

Hope you guys like my stuff so far. long way to go, but she's getting there!
Taylor

Hi nice work ... machining, parts beautifully designed

Offline jBernard

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 07:32:01 AM »
thanks!
i need to update this thread! been crazy busy with work lately and havent had much chance to work on the bike.
Hopefully getting engine mounts machined within a week so i can get all the frame welding completed finally!
'14 KTM 300SX