Author Topic: Ignition Wiring  (Read 7824 times)

Offline jim_cliff11

Ignition Wiring
« on: October 14, 2012, 09:53:31 AM »
Hi all,

I am having issues with an 89 KX500 rebuild i have been working on for a while now. I've just got back into the project after a 8 months of not touching it. Anyway.... I have no spark what so ever. Here is what I've done:

- Replaced stator / pulser coils
- Replaced CDI
- Replaced coil
- New spark plug
- Made sure coil is earthing

I haven't adjusted my timing, the stator plate is bolted up inline with the marking on the casing. For the time being, I'm not concerned about timing, as even if it is slightly out I should still see a spark. Can anyone explain to me abit about how the KX ignition wiring works? What the stator, pulser, CDI and each components relevant wire actually does?

I have the following colour wires on my bike:

Stator & pulser coil plate:
- Black / yellow (Earth I think)
- Black / red
- Red / white
- Green / white

CDI:
- Black
- Black / white
- Black / white
- Red / White
- Green / white
- Yellow / black

Coil:
- Decent earth!
- Black (To black from CDI)

My CDI unit has two black / white wires, one of which is for the kill switch and the other I'm guessing runs to the back / red on the stator? I have tried swapping these round. For such a basic ignition system, it really seems to have stumped me. No wires are shorting and all connectors are good. I have even tried two different flywheels. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or can anyone suggest anything I have missed?

Cheers,
Jim

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Ignition Wiring
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 10:17:09 AM »
I did some checking on the specs.
Here is an update.
Starting with the Coil:
F6T536 FITS 83-04 KX500 -
Primary Coil 0.26-0.36 ohms
Secondary Coil 2.6-3.6 K ohms

Next the Stator:
(2 coil style) 87-89 KX500 - 21003-1169 - 432-648 OHMS: BLACK/WHITE TO BLACK/YELLOW - 4.0-6.0 OHMS: WHITE/RED TO BLACK/YELLOW
I do not have the specs for the single coil style.
90-04 KX500 - 153-230 OHMS: BLACK/WHITE TO BLACK/YELLOW - 7.9-11.9 OHMS: WHITE/RED TO BLACK/YELLOW

According to the Kawasaki Manual you can't test the CDI as it requires special equipment.
Here is a quote: "The I.C. Igniter can only be tested with special electrical equipment and improper testing may damage it. Refer all testing to a Kawasaki dealer".
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:09:27 AM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline jim_cliff11

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 08:22:28 AM »
I'll give it a go.
Thanks for the help Maico :D

Offline LundMx

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 04:46:53 PM »
I'll give it a go.
Thanks for the help Maico :D

Did you ever figure this problem out? I have an 88 engine and am at the same place and now im just stumped
LundMx

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 05:02:16 PM »
Have you checked all the Ohmn specs?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline LundMx

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 05:06:57 PM »
I just saw your post on it.. I have a cheap ohm tester with not a whole lot of settings avalable. I am not a good electrical person at all!
LundMx

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 08:19:46 PM »
I once had the same problem. first check the both black wires (black with white line on it), coming out of the cdi. One goes to the kill switch, the other to the stator. if you connect it wrong there is no spark. if you connect it properly, the spark is back.  :-)
then i made several connections to the wires, so I never connect it wrong again.  also make sure that the kill switch works properly.
good luck..
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline LundMx

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 10:20:34 AM »
I once had the same problem. first check the both black wires (black with white line on it), coming out of the cdi. One goes to the kill switch, the other to the stator. if you connect it wrong there is no spark. if you connect it properly, the spark is back.  :-)
then i made several connections to the wires, so I never connect it wrong again.  also make sure that the kill switch works properly.
good luck..

Now i heard from sandblaster that the two wires that come out of the cdi with the white stripes go to the same place in the cdi... Now im confused
LundMx

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 11:44:50 AM »
Danger sorry if this is against the rules. Delete if necessary. Just thought it would be easier than trying to explain it.

This is the 89 K5 wiring diagram. Hope this helps.

It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline LundMx

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 05:51:46 AM »
thanks! that helps
LundMx

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 09:31:27 AM »
It's probably obvious to you guys but the coil is shown grounding to what?
Not the frame ground at least not according to the diagram key.
Is there an error in that photo?
Also, look at the connections, no connections symbols.
I'd like to make a new diagram for this site so we stay out of trouble...  :-o
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:51:38 AM by sandblaster »

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 10:30:27 AM »
I was noticing that as well SB. Every schematic is the same in my clymer manual. Not one frame ground. Someone screwed up well multiple people cuz the editor didn't catch it either.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Motorrad

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 10:35:33 AM »
I was noticing that as well SB. Every schematic is the same in my clymer manual. Not one frame ground. Someone screwed up well multiple people cuz the editor didn't catch it either.

I wire mine as if there is no frame ground.    If your treating the frame as a ground...  your missing out.

(unless your dualsported with lights)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 12:14:32 PM »
Is that because you have a bunch of old cool stuff that you ground to the engine?

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 02:57:06 PM »
good luck..

Not a week & someone brings up the "same" issue  :roll:

Dave , Mike & I were discussing this last week & he had a diagram that was excellent, it really should be a sticky, if it aint, for all electrical trouble as it covers it.

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,10928.msg90819.html#msg90819
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF