Author Topic: 87 500 agai  (Read 4925 times)

Offline nirvanafan98

87 500 agai
« on: October 09, 2012, 02:09:57 AM »
Hello again, getting so frustrated with this bike bought it used . Can't start .Got spark , back fires about every 20 kicks. Everything is stock except pro circuit pipe and silencer. Should I use the jetting chart on here ? Stator is set to middle timing mark. Spark plug always wet with gas. I've leaned it over till gas runs out of carb. Tried everything I've read on here. Got fresh gas in it .93 octane. Bel/ ray oil 44 to 1 ratio. Got to get a fly wheel puller to check key way hasn't slipped.
My choices are my voice. Was a little boy who dreamed of becoming Bob Hannah .

Offline don46

Re: 87 500 agai
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 04:27:07 AM »
have you tried a new plug, even though it may spark, it may not under compression. check the reeds.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 06:23:33 AM »
Have you checked your Stator to see if the resistance values are at spec?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 11:00:48 AM »
Sheared flywheel Key?
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline nirvanafan98

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 01:02:40 PM »
Thanks for the help . I'm just a weekend mechanic but like working on our dirt bikes.We have a 125 and a 250. Their really not a difference in kicking over those bikes. Can't believe that much difference between 250 and 500 . Its my first 500. Now if someone could get me one fork cap. :?

Offline fitter

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 09:20:12 PM »
I had one of these years ago.  I put it together with a big bore kit same thing spark, backfires etc but wouldn't fire up.  I ended up towing it behind the car while my (Considerably heavier!!) boss rode it and dumped the clutch in third or fourth while bouncing on the seat to get it to fire up!!!
Was quite entertaining but it did the trick it fired into life alright!!  After that it would kick start but you really had to get it just past top dead centre and jump on it.
It was a b***** of a bike but I miss it!!!

Good luck

Offline nirvanafan98

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 12:21:42 PM »
Bought a multi meter. Checked everything found I have a bad ignition coil.Getting spark but weak. Getting a new one. Still going to remove flywheel. See if the key is good and going to put new reeds in it.Hoping this gets it running.  :roll:

Offline nirvanafan98

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 01:29:18 PM »
Update, put new ignition coil on.  Pulled flywheel off , bolts loose on stator . Tightened, new Boyseen Reeds. Before I made the repairs , least I could get it to back fire.Has more spark now but can't get it to back fire or anything. Anyone have any ideas. Tried new plugs. :-D

Offline nirvanafan98

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »
Don't know if I started at the beginning when I joined. This bike does run. Bought it early this summer. Just needed a head gasket and new fork seals . Paid 450.00 for it. Put new gasket on and put new forks seals , bushings myself. My 16 year old son weighs 155 pounds could start it. The thing is it kept getting harder to start. Checked everything I mentioned in earlier post. Won't start anymore.

Offline nirvanafan98

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 02:51:53 PM »
Read on here something about a Stewart bolt. Would this help it start better. Even considered a compression release .

Offline Big Yac

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 03:41:15 PM »
could there be an air leak or could the carb be clogged up?  Is the air filter nice and clean?  How are you trying to start it?  You said it was your first 500.  You can't stab at the kick starter like a smaller bike.  Roll the piston around a few times, get it just past top dead center and give it a nice full kick clear through the stroke.   :-D

Offline nirvanafan98

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 02:01:49 PM »
Clean air filter. New ingnition coil, new throttle cable, new Boysen Reeds. New reed spacer with 2 new gaskets.Most of the time I can get a clean kick. I  know it runs. then we had trouble starting it. All it would do is backfire. The plug would always be dripping with gas. Just cranking it over no throttle.Now with the new items  no back fires and the plug is dry. I checked to see if I put the reeds in wrong , reeds soaked in gas , but the motor is dry.I use 93 octane gas with octane booster always fresh gas. If someone was reasonably close would ask them to look at it . Local shop told me it was the throttle cable . They are smart ain't they.Tried it choke on or off no difference. Iknow it wont kick over like our 250's .But would like it start as easy as some of you claim. I really have learned alot from this forum.

Offline nirvanafan98

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 02:18:42 PM »
Forgot  to add checked No air leak on air box , carb , reeds , crank case seals fine .

Offline Big Yac

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 04:35:07 PM »
Is fuel dripping out?  Could your floats be messed up?  How about the spark plug boot?  Might you need a new one of those?  You know, I had an old YZ 125 that sounds alot like this and it turned out the cylinder head seal was torn, put a new one in and it fired right up. 

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 05:05:59 AM »
did you let the filter dry before oiling it? could be cdi, loss of crankcase compression (crank seals, case bond, base gasket, powervalve seals, a pressure test is only way to be sure.....) is stator making sufficient power?, if you havent been riding it, re check everything you've changed then look at the above issues, carb and reeds too.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....