Author Topic: 2001 KX500 Kawasaki Supermoto  (Read 322548 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: 2001 KX500 Kawasaki Supermoto
« Reply #315 on: August 03, 2013, 12:24:41 PM »
that's one way to learn how to "Drift" a motorcycle :lol:

I wouldn't recommend it but hey if that works who am I to argue with it..  :lol:

O man I got the pucker just reading that

I'm over it now that I dug out my self inflicted wedgie and changed my tightie whities  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #316 on: August 07, 2013, 11:40:39 AM »
After removing 2 1/16" from the side stand you can see that it is just about right :D

Lean angle.... Perfect...

Tomorrow I'll take it to the welder and get it finished...
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #317 on: August 07, 2013, 12:24:49 PM »
Shall we compare welds after?

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #318 on: August 07, 2013, 12:45:27 PM »
Dimes against doodoo? RIGHT  :lol:

Offline alward25

« Reply #319 on: August 07, 2013, 01:12:35 PM »
I told PMB it was too long but they insisted it was just right.  for you on your bike it must have been super long.
"Let there be light"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #320 on: August 07, 2013, 01:20:17 PM »
Your right.
When I had the stock wheels on the bike the stand worked but the bike had to be on flat ground and it was very tippy.
If PMB made it about 1/4 to 1/2" shorter it would be a LOT better for a stock bike.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #321 on: August 08, 2013, 12:25:44 PM »
Next door having my buddy Trav doing some welding.

Motorrad

« Reply #322 on: August 08, 2013, 02:34:30 PM »
Should have grounded closer to the weld, (on the kickstand) so the current didnt have to run through the frame.   (CDI's and such).

Here is mine. Im NOT a row of dimes tig welder,  I tend to just run a bead...  Has MANY miles on it now, so its dirty, scratched etc.           weld was never touched with anything more than a wire brush, (and now some rocks, sand, brush)..  the 2 lumps are due to kicking the breaker on the welder.    had to crank her up to more than the wall liked

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:36:50 PM by Motorrad »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #323 on: August 08, 2013, 03:44:09 PM »
Should have grounded closer to the weld, (on the kickstand) so the current didnt have to run through the frame.   (CDI's and such).

Yep, I agree... In fact this was my fault as I was too lazy to pull it off the bike  :roll:

Here is mine. Im NOT a row of dimes tig welder,  I tend to just run a bead...  Has MANY miles on it now, so its dirty, scratched etc.           weld was never touched with anything more than a wire brush, (and now some rocks, sand, brush)..  the 2 lumps are due to kicking the breaker on the welder.    had to crank her up to more than the wall liked

Well..... I'll see how it looks tomorrow up close.... Then I'll decide if I can post the results...  :-)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 03:59:36 AM by sandblaster »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #324 on: August 09, 2013, 06:03:51 AM »
Here is the spacer I made for the rear wheel....
The finish thickness is .120"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #325 on: August 09, 2013, 06:48:54 AM »
Installed...

No clearance issues now.
I probably have .015" clearance between the tire and the chain.
I'll be watching the sprocket bolts very carefully to make sure there is no problem with them coming loose.
Yes, I used thread locker and torqued them but better to be safe them hash browns on the highway...  :o
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 06:51:00 AM by sandblaster »

Offline bansheedave

« Reply #326 on: August 09, 2013, 07:00:26 AM »
I know .120 doesn't seem like much, but how is the alignment between the front and rear sprockets now? I would be worried about premature sprocket wear.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #327 on: August 09, 2013, 07:11:30 AM »
I know .120 doesn't seem like much, but how is the alignment between the front and rear sprockets now? I would be worried about premature sprocket wear.

Honestly I can't even tell a difference..... yet...
If it starts becoming a issue I can remove the spacer and let the tire rub.
It doesn't rub as bad as my last SM bike even without the spacer and it was never a problem on that bike.

Offline dirk_411

« Reply #328 on: August 09, 2013, 11:59:02 AM »

Current will take the path of less resistance,  no harm done to his cdi and such eletrical equipment.   Current isnt going to take a jog up around the chassis when it can take a 14 inch hop (or ever how far it is to the weld) over to the weld to complete the circuit.   Different story if the current has to pass directly through or across your frame grounds.  Then yah,  possible.   I agree though typically you ground as close as possible.   Im amazed at what you lads are doing with these k5's. Im not a dirt bike guy but a kawasaki tecate 4 guy.  I use kx250 top ends and use the k5 hinson billet basket swap over with the T4 back gears. 

Any how just my 2 cents on the welding concerns

Here is mine. Im NOT a row of dimes tig welder,  I tend to just run a bead...  Has MANY miles on it now, so its dirty, scratched etc.           weld was never touched with anything more than a wire brush, (and now some rocks, sand, brush)..  the 2 lumps are due to kicking the breaker on the welder.    had to crank her up to more than the wall liked

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #329 on: August 09, 2013, 12:03:02 PM »
Hey Dirk, opinions are always appreciated.
The welding didn't hurt anything but it's always a possibility...
I guess it's a good thing I have a complete MZB ignition on the way  8-)