Author Topic: 2001 KX500 Kawasaki Supermoto  (Read 322538 times)

Offline alward25

Re: 2001 KX500 Kawasaki Supermoto
« Reply #270 on: July 16, 2013, 01:00:50 PM »
my black side panels would look sweet too!!!!!!
"Let there be light"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #271 on: July 16, 2013, 02:11:14 PM »
I looked hard at those but there just not the style I wanted  :-o
I have cut my right side cover to match the exhaust lines.... I need to make the left one match...  8-)
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #272 on: July 18, 2013, 09:47:08 AM »
Ok, After getting the wheels on the bike I measured the highest part of the seat at 38.5".
The lowest part of the seat is at 35.5".
Taking it for my first ride with the new tires on it...  :-o
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #273 on: July 18, 2013, 10:14:29 AM »
Simply Ridiculous  8-)

Obviously I still have a lot of work to do and I'm still testing bits and pieces not to mention the engine build I have going on... But.... It is sure fun..

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #274 on: July 18, 2013, 11:28:38 AM »
Tire pressure..
Here's what I am running.
Front Cold 32lb.
Rear Cold 30lb.

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #275 on: July 18, 2013, 02:01:04 PM »
Looks very cool! It only shortened it an inch?!?!?! I would have expected at least a couple. Bummer. I will have to think about this some. I suppose the front road tire is larger even though the rim is smaller. Interesting. Wife has hinted at dumping all the project bikes/old bikes a couple times and me buying a couple newer nice ones that I do not have to modify or fix and just keep them. I will admit it gets more tempting as time goes on. It has been an obsession to make the old ones 'live' again, I will admit.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #276 on: July 18, 2013, 02:09:09 PM »
Looks like a wonderful way to loose a license. 

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #277 on: July 18, 2013, 04:38:32 PM »
Looks very cool! It only shortened it an inch?!?!?! I would have expected at least a couple. Bummer. I will have to think about this some. I suppose the front road tire is larger even though the rim is smaller. Interesting. Wife has hinted at dumping all the project bikes/old bikes a couple times and me buying a couple newer nice ones that I do not have to modify or fix and just keep them. I will admit it gets more tempting as time goes on. It has been an obsession to make the old ones 'live' again, I will admit.

Thankfully my wife has 3 horses and can't say a word about my bike spending habits...
Besides, what she doesn't know about....  :roll:

Looks like a wonderful way to loose a license. 

Just have to use good judgement and throttle control  :mrgreen:

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #278 on: July 18, 2013, 07:23:51 PM »
It isn't the money. Shoot, we spent $10K on one of her dogs and it only lasted a year and a half. :-o She really is fine with the money part. Plus, it has been a while since I lost money on one. I keep track now! :wink: It is the time and shop mess and having 'ugly' bikes sitting around. At least until I get them painted! Mostly it is the time spent working on them. She probably gets tired of hearing about all the broken and crappy parts I feel the need to repair also. Since she saw 'her' bike and her 'track' bike go together and helped with them a bit she understands a little more how it all works. I think part of it is I put all the work in on them and then sell. Usually within a year of them being finished, but some are quicker. She will probably have 'her' bikes for many years. I think that is why she claimed a few, to keep me from selling them off! I would have too!  :lol: 
We had a horse some years back that finally died (30+ years old) but we both liked having him around. Really nice horse too.  :cry:

Offline dave916

« Reply #279 on: July 19, 2013, 01:43:47 AM »
Simply Ridiculous  8-)

Obviously I still have a lot of work to do and I'm still testing bits and pieces not to mention the engine build I have going on... But.... It is sure fun..

That chain looks a bit tight

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #280 on: July 19, 2013, 02:27:37 AM »
The chain is too tight.
My new chain will be in early next week.
I will adjust it so that the rear wheel is as far back as it can go with the correct tension.
It would be nice to have a swing arm that is a few inches longer then stock...  :-)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #281 on: July 19, 2013, 08:13:11 AM »
A little trim, a little shim, and on it goes...

Since I installed this wheel and tire combo I need to get the correct length figured out.
I'm guessing I'll have to remove about 1/2 to 1" but I don't know yet...

Offline dave916

« Reply #282 on: July 19, 2013, 09:22:03 AM »
The chain is too tight.
My new chain will be in early next week.
I will adjust it so that the rear wheel is as far back as it can go with the correct tension.
It would be nice to have a swing arm that is a few inches longer then stock...  :-)
A swingarm longer than stock?
supermotos usual go shorter in the swingarm

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #283 on: July 19, 2013, 05:17:12 PM »
I'm sure that is true. But then again i'm not racing except stop light to stop light so I just want to keep the front end down  :lol:

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #284 on: July 19, 2013, 07:39:04 PM »
Sure looks shorter then just an inch? Sorry, just can't get over that it only dropped it an inch! AN INCH?!?!? What the?!?!  :? Hope to get rid of the KZ1100 tomorrow.  :-D That opens up a BIG hole in the garage. Getting closer to working on the KX5. Still can not decide on wheel color though. Only one motorcycle (big) job to finish before it is up to bat again.  :-P An inch?!?!?