Author Topic: Build thread - KX500B1 Supermoto  (Read 22364 times)

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
Re: Build thread - KX500B1 Supermoto
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 06:59:12 AM »
Wow! That is one long build!  :lol: Good you are getting back to it. Looks good.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline derek badger

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2020, 09:08:58 PM »
Fast forward two and a half years later... and we've moved again. I finally now have a decent workshop with heating, power, decent lighting, internet etc. It's taken me another year since we moved in to get the man cave sorted and in a position to crack on, but here we go...again.

To recap, it's never run. I had a full top and bottom rebuild then couldn't get a spark and while trying to get it started the kickstart started slipping so it couldn't be turned over.

I've dug out a new coil and a 2nd hand CDI I bought at some point over the last decade and also another kick start assembly. Tonight I drained the gearbox oil and took the water pump and crank case off.

Once I've got it kicking over again I'll be back to the ignition issue. I've ordered one of those temp fuel tanks you hang from above in anticipation of it firing up. The plan is then to make a list of what needs doing, break it down into chunks like sort the wheel spacers, chain alignment and brakes. Then it needs registering and an MOT.

Offline derek badger

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2021, 03:59:43 AM »
So...here we are again. Had a few issues due to hamfistedness. Managed to snap the inner clutch basket by not using the correct tool.

Sourced a replacement from CMSNL and had it shipped over to the UK.

Then I dropped the outer basket and manged to snap a pawl off. This is now an obsolete part and 1985 was the year the changed the number of inner teeth so it isn't common to later models. I left it for a few months and got on with life, lockdown and 3 kids.

When I came back to look at it I must have thrown the broken piece away while working on something else in the workshop so I couldn't even get it TIG welded and machined. I bough an '86 basket with the intention of welding and re-broaching the splines to fit the '85 gear piece and then came across a guy in the UK (KX500tech) who sourced a NOS basket for me from Holland.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 04:07:50 AM by derek badger »

Offline derek badger

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2021, 04:02:11 AM »
Kawasaki Motors UK have supplied a 'certificate of newness', which is a letter stating year of manufacture and that it was a UK supplied bike. This is key to getting it road registered and an age related licence plate in the UK. I made up a small VIN plate with the frame number,  the stamps on the headstock are legible but have been painted over.

Offline derek badger

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2021, 04:05:29 AM »
I won a pair of spoked 17" wheels on eBay with a very drunk low bid, they appear to be off a smaller capacity bike as the rear tyre is only 130 section but they look better than the cast ally road wheels on there presently. I'll need some capative spaesr for the rear spindle to sleeve from 20mm to 15mm. The front bearings are the correct size for the KLR650 forks. They should arrive within the next few days. I'll need to fabricate brake mounts/hangers but at least with a spoked rear I can tweak the chain alighnment if I need to.

Offline derek badger

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2021, 04:06:19 AM »