Author Topic: '92 Ignition & Crank Changes  (Read 2982 times)

Offline m1886

'92 Ignition & Crank Changes
« on: September 26, 2012, 02:20:19 AM »
In the article "The Life & Times of the Kawasaki KX500" that was in Dirt Bike magazine earlier this year they mention "In 1992, the ignition and crank were changed as an unofficial acknowledgment that the KX was being used more for off-road riding than motocross."  Can anyone tell me what these changes were? Would this prevent any of you from buying a pre '92 bike if your plan was to use it for mostly woods with some desert riding?

Offline don46

Re: '92 Ignition & Crank Changes
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 04:02:40 AM »
So, as I recall the ignition was changed in 89, some had the smaller flywheel and some had the larger flywheel.  They may haved changed the ignition curve in 92 but I don't recall physical component changes. as for the crank I've used from 88 on in newer motors. So to answer your question, No I would not have an issue with a pre 92 bike, keeping in mind that a pre 92 probably has more time on it than a post 92
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline m1886

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 03:06:09 AM »
Thanks a bunch for the info don46. I haven't looked at it in person yet but I've found a '91 that from the photos appears to have very little use and is bone stock (including the bright blue forks). It's not exactly what I want but if I could get it for the right price and the motor isn't worn out I could afford to make the modifications I want to it.

Offline don46

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 05:19:05 AM »
You can always upgrade the forks and shock with newer components, or at some time upgrade the frame.

Offline m1886

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 07:52:09 AM »
I know what you mean. I really love the looks of those BRP triple clamps and greenkaw24 has two sets of the 46mm forks for sale right now. That actually brings up another question. It appears that they switched the rear shock in '94 from a 44mm to a 46mm. Can I install the newer shock to the frame and linkage of an older bike?

Offline don46

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 10:06:26 AM »
I think what your referring to is the shock piston diameter increase, they will bolt up no problem. I was actually thinking on the lines of 450 or 250f forks and shock upgrades.

Offline m1886

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 11:21:05 AM »
Thanks again for the info. Swapping out parts from other models sounds too scary for me at the moment. I'm afraid I'd screw something up and kill myself. Baby steps for now. I'm finding out that the motor really is the most important thing to look at. It's what makes these bikes so awesome and I'm having a hard time finding one that hasn't been abused or tweaked.