Author Topic: 1987 kx 500 engine concerns  (Read 2197 times)

Offline Coco Cola

1987 kx 500 engine concerns
« on: September 11, 2012, 04:19:00 AM »
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/3260177135.html

I brought my 87 kx 500 blown up from a guy that had it posted for $800.00 (got him down to $425.00 & a new ipod nano)

Bike engine wasn't seized, and the compression tester registered zero from the reading.

I removed engine, then removed jug to find a badly scored sleeved cylinder and to visually see that the ring was stuck into the piston and scrapping the cylinder wall with each kick.

Tracked down a gently used jug with no scoring, new ring, new piston, new gasket kit, new oil new spark plug.

After putting her back together, she started, but ran terribly. Vibration, sputtering, leaking coolant from jug & radiator, which in turn made the engine smoke a bit, as the drops of coolant from the radiator, hit the exhaust.

Come to find out the radiator had a tiny hole in it.

As i tried to clean the carburetor, the float snapped off as i tried to clean the jets out.

Also, after i changed the oil i started noticing drops of oil from the drain bolt area, i went to autozone & got some epoxy (a clay like substance and repaired that, doesn't leak any more)

Will not put a dime more into this but want to be forthright in trying to sell this engine.

I wanted to find a 99-02 roller to put this in but don't know if i should proceed with these issuses.

The 87 roller is junk (to me) and do feel that this engine should be mounted in something more modern.

Would love to trade this to a hardcore kawasaki builder/rider/expert for a nice 250, lol, but how do i go about expressing these issues?

As soon as you are honest (which i intend to be) it seems that people want you to basically give your stuff away.