Author Topic: New to Kawasaki - tips anyone 97 KX250  (Read 3598 times)

Offline cyclone

New to Kawasaki - tips anyone 97 KX250
« on: August 23, 2012, 01:05:07 AM »
Hello to all,

I am new to the forum, actaully my first forum too. I am an ex racer, always had Yamaha's but that was back in the 70's and 80's and I have grown older now. Last month i couldnt fight the urge any more and purchased a 97 KX250. All new gear and off I went. The bike runs strong and is solid, it needs cosmetics which i will do this coming winter. I intend to do a complete tear down to bare frame and put her back together like new. At the same tme i plan on doing a few changes to suit me, mainly suspension. I am 6' 200 pounds, not fat, still fit, but still 200. I would like advice on spring rates front and rear, fork oil weight, etc etc. Anything anyone can add on suspension tuning would be great.

I am also wondering which pipe is best, It has a Pro Circuit Platinum pipe, its a little dented and I  will replace it but is this or the FMF fatty the better pipe?

Mix ratio, I have been told everything fromn 25:1 to 50:1, and what oils are people using now. When i was racing it was all Bell Ray, but now which is best?

The bike has a 18" wheel from a 125, spec says it should be a 19". Any thoughts on this. it certainly adds bottom end being smaller, but has anyone else done this.

Thanks to all that answer.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: New to Kawasaki - tips anyone 97 KX250
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 06:21:11 AM »
Hey cyclone,
 sounds like you have a good bike. I have found the Race Tech website very handy for suspension information. If you look on the sidebar menu for the spring calculator, they will as k a few questions about weight, type of riding and bike and give you recommended spring rates for shock and forks. They of course have the springs and valves for sale, but its also handy to know what stock is and where they recommend you take it to. I like both PC II pipes and FMF Fatty, but its truly comes down to personal preference. Same on oils, but I think its good to always run hi quality oil and really think that synthetics must be a little better than petroleum. Everyone seems to vary on their opinions here, but spefic questions can often answered using the search function on the top of the main page. This forum has had a wealth of information thoroughly discussed in the past. I like to find an answer that makes sense to me plus, has several members agreeing on the information. 

Offline cyclone

Re: New to Kawasaki - tips anyone 97 KX250 - shock rebuild, brakes?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 04:03:53 AM »
Thnaks very much for the reply.

I checked out the Race Tech site you suggested, great info. I think I will be ordering some new springs for my winter rebuild.

Any info on rebuilding the rear shock, tips or such? I have a complete shop and all the equipment just never done it before. probably as easy to send it to race tech but again thoughts are appreciated.

Which oil do you prefer manufacturer, premix and engine.

And lastly anything on brakes, I find them a little lacking in stopping power. I have ordered new Renthal pads, but what about bigger front rotors?

Once again thanks.