Author Topic: forks? for supermoto covesion  (Read 6300 times)

Offline superman

forks? for supermoto covesion
« on: August 22, 2012, 08:35:04 AM »
I am converting my 2002 kx500 to sumo. Can someone pleae tell me if the used forks it has are sufficient for track? Or do I have to get them re-valved? :|
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:37:34 AM by superman »

Offline kx5rider

Re: forks? for supermoto covesion
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 04:35:01 AM »
I went to a heavier spring rate and race tech gold valving to slow it down and it seems to work pretty well. I also used a caliper relocator with the stock caliper....which kinda sucks but this year will use the motomaster caliper off my YZ450 which should help out a ton.
braaaaaaaaap

Motorrad

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 04:57:45 AM »
I cant speak for the 2002 forks.   But my 1991 Blue leg forks WERE NOT up to the task..   way too small diameter..   crude valving

Now.. My revalved 2008 Kx450 forks on the other hand... they are like BUTTER!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 05:00:10 AM by Motorrad »

Offline superman

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 05:43:47 AM »
Hey thanks a lot guys, I figured I would have to get my shocks re-valved. Considering there might be some guys who probably don't push it hard and have stock suspension. I might just buy a extra set of forks and use those only when I ride supermoto. I do still want to keep my bike for dirt

Offline superman

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 05:46:49 AM »
Hey motorrad and k5 rider. I forgot to ask, did you also use a aftermarket triple clamps as well or are you using the stock ones still?

Offline kx5rider

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 06:18:21 AM »
I used big burly emig tripple clamps. They work great, have a bit of offset but the only drawback is they are a solid bar mount vs. rubber mount so it transfers a little more vibration. Here is a pic with some of the goods that went on.
I also have a set of pro circuit dog bones that raise the ass and help it turn as well.
braaaaaaaaap

Offline kx5rider

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 06:32:05 AM »
BTW my 500 is a '94
I use same forks for sm and dirt, usually just change my clickers and slide my fork up a little in the tripple for sm.
It's amazing once you get good valving and a good shim stack how the clickers actually make a difference on a single click vs. stock guts.
I also put gold valving in the rear and really slow down the rebound, seems to help transfer the weight alot better by not jacking up the rear on the front brakes and keeps the forks from diving as much.
braaaaaaaaap

Offline supercub

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 07:27:39 AM »
What does a set of those Emig Triples run for price?

Offline kx5rider

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 08:33:57 AM »
I think a full set brand new is around $600, I scored these off ebay a couple years ago, I think I got em for $200.
braaaaaaaaap