Author Topic: Late ignition system on an early KX500  (Read 3731 times)

Offline tecatedan

Late ignition system on an early KX500
« on: August 01, 2012, 01:19:14 AM »
I have an 86KX500 that is going into a 1985 tecate three wheeler and I would really like to run light and update the ignition system to newer more dependable stuff. I'm aware that the late model stator plates have mounting holes for a lighting coil but I'm not sure of the swapability of newr models into olser models. Has anyone done this? Any recomendations on the best year to use. I believe that the CDI has an ignition cure that is slightly different through out hte years and I'm assuning there is one that is consider superior to others. I'm looking for good midrange as this will be a "trail" bike not a drag bike. I was thinking of picking this one up from E-bay. Thanks Guys

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-98-Kawasaki-KX500-KX-500-Wiring-Harness-CDI-Box-Coil-Fly-Wheel-Stator-/280933098029?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4168eae22d&vxp=mtr

Motorrad

Re: Late ignition system on an early KX500
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 04:23:43 AM »
I have an 86KX500 that is going into a 1985 tecate three wheeler and I would really like to run light and update the ignition system to newer more dependable stuff. I'm aware that the late model stator plates have mounting holes for a lighting coil but I'm not sure of the swapability of newr models into olser models. Has anyone done this? Any recomendations on the best year to use. I believe that the CDI has an ignition cure that is slightly different through out hte years and I'm assuning there is one that is consider superior to others. I'm looking for good midrange as this will be a "trail" bike not a drag bike. I was thinking of picking this one up from E-bay. Thanks Guys

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-98-Kawasaki-KX500-KX-500-Wiring-Harness-CDI-Box-Coil-Fly-Wheel-Stator-/280933098029?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4168eae22d&vxp=mtr

MZB lighting system is your answer..  gets you fresh EVERYTHIGN... and better quality than OEM also

Pretty sure it fits 1985...   alex (the seller) would be the one to ask...

Offline tecatedan

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 04:44:06 AM »
Is he on the boards or does he have his own website. Tried googing but it kept brining up mercedes stuff

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 04:45:54 AM »
Is he on the boards or does he have his own website. Tried googing but it kept brining up mercedes stuff

he is on this site in the vendors section (look down)

system has 100watts of power.   nice new EVERYTHING.

and you can choose your flavor of flywheels.

stock weight.

or light weight     (light weight is about same as the 86-88 flywheels     26oz to be exact ,the one I run, )

I had a Mosse "75watt" coil on my bike before..  and it wouldnt keep up with my 35watt headlight, and LEd taillight... unless I was reving its balls off...

MZB gets you HID lights  :wink:

as a nice benefit... all your ignition is good and fresh... My bike ran better with the new stuff   and all my ignition was close to within spec
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:49:03 AM by Motorrad »

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 04:47:52 AM »

Offline tecatedan

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 05:56:56 AM »
Sweet man thanks for the tip on the new stuff I'll def check it out. Still curious about swapping new KX stuff onto the bike if anyone knows if it's possible. JUst liek ot have options.

Motorrad

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 08:17:43 AM »
Sweet man thanks for the tip on the new stuff I'll def check it out. Still curious about swapping new KX stuff onto the bike if anyone knows if it's possible. JUst liek ot have options.

Yes.. just have to have a full set...  (cdi stator, stator plate (changed some years) and flywheel (also changed over the years_)