Author Topic: KX-500 Autoclutch! It works!  (Read 14377 times)

Kawadougie

KX-500 Autoclutch! It works!
« on: September 19, 2004, 03:36:59 PM »
It actually rained today and above 5000 feet it snowed.  We hit about
6500 feet at the top and had about 2" of snow.  Almost no dust at all.  I
had just installed a prototype EFM Autoclutch in my KX-500 and had Eric Gorr port the cylinder and flow the head for bottom end power.  Gary at EFM machined a spacer and clutch cover for my bike.  The autoclutch worked perfect.  It was actually better to start the bike in gear.  You cannot stall the motor.  I can rip into a corner and lock up the rear wheel and accelerate out of it.  With a big bore two stroke, you always fear killing the motor in some tight trail with the motor hot enough to cook bacon and no room to kick it properly.  Now, everytime you slow down the clutch is pulled in for you and it just sits there and idles.  Pretty cool.

mikesmith

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 06:45:39 PM »
WOW!Nice! Is the whole cover new,or is it based off the stock one?A top view picture please?

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 10:14:03 PM »
Awesome!  :shock: I also like the removeable clutch cover. Any more pictures?

Kawadougie

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 12:48:18 AM »
I sent the stock cover to EFM and they just milled off the clutch portion and machined up a flange and a cover plate.  See photo.

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 02:04:38 AM »
Very nice work! 8)  8)  8)

The cover looks cool too,factory look. :D
What parts did they use from stockclutch?
Did they use something from the kx250-setup they have for sales?
Can we "force" EFM(Gary) to make more of them? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Can you tell how much it cost or is it a secret?
//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 02:23:33 AM »
I would imagine that if the time / effort where put into making the proto-type then one will be coming shortly. Especially if the feedback they recieve is positive. My suggestion at this point - UNLESS YOU WHERE TOLD NOT TO SAY ANYTHING - would be for the members that are interested in this to email info@efm-billet.com or call (if you're in the states) 330-947-1700 and express your interest.

Hell send them this link so they can follow the ride reporting Kawadougie is doing and at the same time see some live feedback.

Offline Ramski

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 05:50:11 AM »
Alreay emailed them.  I've been wanting a autoclutch for a long time now but found the Revloc a little too expensive.
Danny Lesovsky

Kawadougie

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 03:21:39 PM »
Garry at EFM charges $499 for any clutch he makes.  The stock clutch basket is modified to mount the pressure plate.  The new pressure plate has ball bearings that ramp down and put pressure on the stock clutch plates proportional to the speed of the motor.  He made the cover and flange for $100.  I had a local welder attach the flange for $80.  You MUST use steel plates since the aluminum plates grow too much with heat.  My work involved removing the excess welding bead and bending the brake lever to fit. :)

Offline Ramski

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 05:28:45 PM »
Did the Revloc require making a mod to the case?
Danny Lesovsky

mikesmith

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 05:31:11 PM »
Nice!Does look cool!

Kawadougie

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 12:31:28 AM »
The EFM clutch pressure plate assembly is roughly 1/2" wider than the stock clutch basket cover.  Most modern dirt bikes today have a removeable cover which makes a spacer easy to manufacture.  
     The cool thing about this clutch is that you just turn the throttle and go.  I haven't tried it without the flywheel weight yet, but that might be interesting too. :shock:

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2004, 02:17:31 AM »
Kawadougie,
   Cool clutch!  What is it like on deceleration?  I raced an automatic 360 husky for a bit and it was odd going down hill since it would freewheel, with no engine braking. Took a bit to get used to.  Does this clutch do the same? Cam.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2004, 02:21:39 AM »
Come to think of it this probably wouldn't be much of an issue.  I find I pull in the clutch as a habit whenever I use the rear brake so I don't stall (no steahly).  In practise that wouldn't be much different than the clutch disengaging at idle. Neat! Cam.

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2004, 04:42:33 AM »
Had to have this thing! :twisted:

Can you tuning what rpm for engage and disengage,(sorry about spelling)? :oops:

Maybe with heavier/lighter balls or spring preload?

I will send a email to EFM and ask if they can ship it to Europe/Sweden.

Do you guys know what price for a clutchbasket in US?

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Kawadougie

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2004, 12:41:20 PM »
This is much different than the old Auto Husky.  It acts just like a regular clutch until the RPM's drop off. then it disengages automatically.  You can adjust the speed of disengagement by adding or subtracting some small spring washers.  On downhills you still have engine braking but if you lock up the rear wheel, the auto clutch will save you from killing the motor.  It almost encourages you to ride in a higher gear, but if you climb a hill and the RPM is too low, the clutch will slip.  Just shift down or crank on the throttle to go faster.  It's a 70 HP woods scooter! :shock: