Author Topic: Gotta question.  (Read 4006 times)

Offline twosmokerider116

Gotta question.
« on: June 28, 2012, 11:49:37 AM »
my trans. fluid was milky white( like a vanilla milk shake) and I just changed the w/p oil seal and when I tested it without having the clutch cover on it tested good. no water at all. Last night I started it up for like 10 min and puttered around the yard, with fresh seal and fresh oil. Today, I noticed that the oil was slightly milky ( not nearly as bad as the first time) and I was wondering if it could be the seal leaking again, or if its just left over from the nasty mix from the first time? Help me guys , I can not afford to take it apart again and get another new clutch cover gasket or water pump cover gasket. Its a pain in the a$$. I'll see if I can out pics up. I need to know if its normal . Gotta race coming up this saturday!
86' Kx500 Pro Circuit Platinum, FMF Turbine Core II

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Gotta question.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:59:44 AM »
Hello.
Yes, it could be the seal is still leaking or you could have residual goo left over.
When you pulled it apart and replaced the seal did you notice if the impeller shaft had any wear on it?
What year, make, and model is your bike?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline twosmokerider116

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 12:02:50 PM »
No it didnt have much. But it just seems too milky to be left over, Kx 500 86'

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 12:07:52 PM »
I need to know if its normal.

One thing's for certain....it is NOT normal.In your other post "Coolant leak into cranckcase"...Jonny500 mentioned if you had possibly installed the seal wrong,and you answered "I think I put it in right".If you're not 100% certain you did,then this could be an issue.Jonny500 also asked "what was the condition of the shaft where the seal runs"....and you gave no answer.This is another thing that really needs to be inspected.You could put new seals in all day,but if the shaft is chewed up/grooved/corroded...it'll continue to leak.
I know it's not what you want to hear...but those are your starting points.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline twosmokerider116

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 12:41:20 PM »
Yeah, I installed the seal by following clymer instructions, step by step. I just took of clutch cover, lol im getting good at that...  but I left the w/p cover on and put a water hose onto w/p and blew water threw it full blast and no leaks at all on the inside of the cover. I rotated the shaft and still nothing. Im lost. :?

-EDIT-

Also Im thinking that there very well could be left over oil from the milkshake stuff because that stuff was 80 weight bel-ray tranny oil. it was almost like light pink yogurt.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:51:37 PM by twosmokerider116 »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 01:01:28 PM »
Yeah, I installed the seal by following clymer instructions, step by step. I just took of clutch cover, lol im getting good at that...  but I left the w/p cover on and put a water hose onto w/p and blew water threw it full blast and no leaks at all on the inside of the cover. I rotated the shaft and still nothing. Im lost. :?

-EDIT-

Also Im thinking that there very well could be left over oil from the milkshake stuff because that stuff was 80 weight bel-ray tranny oil. it was almost like light pink yogurt.

I don't know,that would be an awful lot of left-over.....the only other thing I can think of is possibly a cracked or corroded through case,around the water pump area....hopefully it's not that.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline twosmokerider116

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 01:42:08 PM »
Do you mean on the clutch cover? Im stumped. Have you ever had an oil seal problem on your w/p?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 01:49:36 PM »
yes on the clutch cover where the pump is.It;s probably ok,but worth looking at it closely.

Offline twosmokerider116

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 02:33:11 PM »
yeah, I looked at it real close. No corrosion or cracks. The weird thing is that oil that has the water in it was only used for maybe 5 minutes or less, so i dont see how that much water got in there so fast.  :? Do you think that blowing a water hose full blast through the water pump and it not leaking on the inside is safe to say its not the seal?

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 02:40:39 PM »
What? is that how you tested it? I would not test it like that. There is alot of room in the tranny for milky stuff to linger, and the seal goes on one way, so you at least have a 50/50 chance to get it right. The manual goes step by step, so if you used that, that should have shown which way and to grease the shaft and to ease it in there with a twisting motion, if I remeber correctly. Also, on some models have a washer on the outside that acts as a spacer and rub bushing. I remeber its that way on the Yamaha of my buddies, and that would be an easy part to lose. Sounds like you need to change the oil again and, if it still gets milky, save up for the repair.... :cry:

Offline twosmokerider116

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 03:02:21 PM »
Yeah, thats how I installed it. I'll change the oil and hope it comes out clean. Thank for all the help guys!