Author Topic: mill head or not??/  (Read 10675 times)

Offline kelcrist

mill head or not??/
« on: June 04, 2012, 02:00:41 PM »
well i have searched the site many times but cant find what im looking for.     i have my top end off to address a leaking base gasket.  ill put in new rings (OEM) but other than that im just sealing things up. the piston and cylinder are in super shape and  the bottom end is solid so i wont be doing anything else. its pretty much entirely stock except for boyesen rad valve, and fmf gnarly pipe. 

should i mill my head at all and if so how much or will the short head gasket give me the compression boost i want.

i ride everything,  mountains, desert, dunes, hill climb,  slow old timer MX............  oh ya and im a bigger guy too,  probably 240 with all the gear on.   

thanks for the input.....

Motorrad

Re: mill head or not??/
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 03:10:32 PM »
Don't need to bump compression,  but a good squish design (stock isn't one) will make more power, ping less, get away with cheaper fuel, and run cooler.....

Offline kelcrist

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 04:56:09 PM »
i would love nothing more than to make every part of the engine as efficient as possible. however, i have to put this thing together and hope it stays that way for one more season.   as i understand it, one would need to weld onto the the underside of the head in order to shape the area like you want it.   i just dont have the resources for that this time around.  ill probably order the thin head gasket and if i dont like it ill just go back to the 1.0 like it was. i am only able to have the head machined cuz a friend will do it for me free , but only a flat cut.    i did, however, clean up the intake ports as they were full of ugly flash. maybe that will help some.

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 05:30:34 PM »
No need to weld to get a good design. 

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 06:22:59 PM »

This will take a while to go through however "Mo" has documented a treasure trove of great info in one thread. 
  I know the squish angle your looking for is in here but I can't keep my eye's open any lomgner to fiind it,
     http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,8717.0.html

I think Mo is saying you can do well by re-cutting the squish angle. no welding involved.   
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 07:19:42 PM »
Sorry for the short replys... was on my phone..

none are welded.

the front right, is more aggressive...  more like the ones you were thinking (welding)... but is done without welding.. but you need a fresh uncut head to start with...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 03:23:14 PM by Motorrad »

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 09:46:59 PM »
well i have searched the site many times but cant find what im looking for.     i have my top end off to address a leaking base gasket.  ill put in new rings (OEM) but other than that im just sealing things up. the piston and cylinder are in super shape and  the bottom end is solid so i wont be doing anything else. its pretty much entirely stock except for boyesen rad valve, and fmf gnarly pipe. 

should i mill my head at all and if so how much or will the short head gasket give me the compression boost i want.

i ride everything,  mountains, desert, dunes, hill climb,  slow old timer MX............  oh ya and im a bigger guy too,  probably 240 with all the gear on.   

thanks for the input.....

Kawi makes an optional "thin"  KX500 HG. Do some searching I can't remember the p/n off the top of my "head"    :D
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline kelcrist

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 12:23:46 AM »
ah i see.   there is a ton of info out there on this stuff and with the diagrams i was seeing it seemed like you needed to modify the area nearest the gasket.     i have plenty of stuff to mess up a good piece of metal so how are you measuring your angles?

Offline kelcrist

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 12:26:57 AM »
also you said no need to mill head so i assumed welding was needed if you were going to make that area closer to the piston.     ????     

Motorrad

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 04:28:58 AM »
ah i see.   there is a ton of info out there on this stuff and with the diagrams i was seeing it seemed like you needed to modify the area nearest the gasket.     i have plenty of stuff to mess up a good piece of metal so how are you measuring your angles?

Use a lathe... has all the angles for you..  

Guess you could do it with a rotary table in the mill also....

Offline kelcrist

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 06:41:16 AM »
well crap.....i dont seem to have either hahahaha................  probably be best if i just bought one from someone already done.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 05:37:59 PM »
Larry W.     
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,6445.0.html

Jerry @ J-Fab 
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,6450.0.html

Both guys are members here and  take alot of pride in their work.   
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 06:50:43 PM »
Larry did mine and it was so pretty I wanted to just set it on a table top and look at it! He also put in a compression release that was one of the best mods I have done.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 09:56:52 PM »
Larry did mine and it was so pretty I wanted to just set it on a table top and look at it! He also put in a compression release that was one of the best mods I have done.

I never realized how ugly my hillbilly green teeth smile was until I saw my reflection in my dome after Larry did my head as well...  :D 

+1 Larry W. does a FANTASTIC job .
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline kelcrist

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 04:52:36 AM »
Thanks for the input. I don't need compression  release but it seems like the other head mods would benefit greatly.