Author Topic: Pipe maintenance. What do you do to maintain your pipe?  (Read 3050 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Pipe maintenance. What do you do to maintain your pipe?
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:37:43 AM »
Pipe maintenance.
Remember when you first got your new bike?
That stock pipe was so clean and nice.
Or, may be you shelled out some hard earned greenbacks for a ProCircuit or FMF.
Ooooohhhhh shiny  :-D
Very quickly though that new appearance can get really haggard.
What do you do to maintain your pipe?
I wash my bike after every ride.
Then after it dries I wipe the pipe off with a rag and some WD-40.
After 12 years it still looks good.
Although it has lost some of it's shine most people are surprised when I tell them how old it is.
So, What do you do to maintain your pipe?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline twosmokerider116

Re: Pipe maintenance. What do you do to maintain your pipe?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 11:47:23 AM »
Usually I wash it and scrub it down real good after a ride, then spray some sort of gun lube and protectant. Its supposed to keep the shine and protect from mud, water, sand, etc. Oh and is that a FMF turbine core II?
86' Kx500 Pro Circuit Platinum, FMF Turbine Core II

Offline ramblnman

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 12:38:18 PM »
love your bike sandblaster... i too will use wd-40 on my p.c pipe after a good washing.. i also use it liberally all over the bike to get rid of the moisture from the chain,pivot points and all the nooks and crannies of the bike, blow dry it with air hose ..then lube all pivot points and chain..overall it is as much time in cleaning it as it is in riding it! but it should last a long,long time!! :-D

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 12:59:18 PM »
Usually I wash it and scrub it down real good after a ride, then spray some sort of gun lube and protectant. Its supposed to keep the shine and protect from mud, water, sand, etc. Oh and is that a FMF turbine core II?

Yes, I believe it is although I'll have to check on Monday to be sure.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 01:02:10 PM »
love your bike sandblaster... i too will use wd-40 on my p.c pipe after a good washing.. i also use it liberally all over the bike to get rid of the moisture from the chain,pivot points and all the nooks and crannies of the bike, blow dry it with air hose ..then lube all pivot points and chain..overall it is as much time in cleaning it as it is in riding it! but it should last a long,long time!! :-D

Funny, we have about the same cleaning procedure.
I even lightly wd the chrome on the forks and shock.
And your right, they will last a long time.
To me it's worth the extra effort.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 12:31:48 AM »
I keep a light coat of WD only from where the pipe exits the jug,to just past the pipe spring mounts.The rest of it gets polished once every couple weeks with 3M 06064 Polish,a non abrassive auto polish that I use on my truck....works amazing,you could shave in the reflection when it's done,and the non abrassive won't hurt the finish.I keep my bike in my living room,so the days it's not being ridden it stays nice and shiny...and my buddies always ask if I got a new pipe.

Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline dieselbeef

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 01:53:32 AM »
riding in the sand aint like riding in the fl clay....

Offline ramblnman

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 02:22:15 AM »
riding in the sand aint like riding in the fl clay....
what are you trying to say dieselbeef?clay washes off at least up here in maine anyway...

Offline dieselbeef

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 03:01:34 AM »
jus sayin i see alotta bikes from out west that only ride sand..beautiful bikes/clean/shiney/chrome...

bikes run in the woods and the mud tend to look....um..... a little more ridden...aint sayin its bad or insulting anyone...just sayin dunes is cleaner than red fl clay thats like superglue..or ga clay...is all...i wish my bike would clean up that good...

Offline ramblnman

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 03:11:46 AM »
that's why i use wd liberally on my bike ..mud slides right off :wink: rode in a sandpit last weekend...  i'm a front brake user bigtime! needless to say however got a quick lesson on what not to do real quick!!!! almost took a digger going into the first turn :lol: LOL!!!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:56:32 AM by ramblnman »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 03:12:30 AM »
Mine started life as a red and dark grey clay bike (depending on where I was) but I washed it with a Landa hot water pressure washer after every ride.
It takes the red right out  :-D
It use to be that a hot water pressure washer was some serious coin but now I see several on the market that are reasonable.
But the main thing is drying the pipe and then wiping it down with WD when finished.
Sure, it smokes a bit when I first start it but so what.

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 07:07:33 AM »
I have a works finish pipe on my kx and I clean and dry it , then spread motor oil all over it so it won't rust
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 08:03:41 AM »
No doubt it wouldn't rust very easy with motor oil on it  :lol: