Author Topic: Drain Plug Question  (Read 2342 times)

Offline dmazz71

Drain Plug Question
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:53:54 AM »
Hi All,

What type of washer are you guys using on the drain plug?  I'm currently using a new stock plug with the aluminum washer and it's starting to seep only after 1 oil change.  The threads on the bolt and in the case look mint.  I always torque it to 14lbs, so I know it has never been over tightened.

Thanks

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: Drain Plug Question
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 11:56:41 AM »
mine does not have a washer, didn't even know there was supposed to be one,....???

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:07:04 PM »
I've always used the stock plug and washer...never had any problems.Did it leak BEFORE you bought a new plug?...if not,put the old one back in.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline dmazz71

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:21:25 PM »
The bike came with a Moose and it was leaking because of a bad washer.  The stock one seemed to be fine when I first put it on, but started to seep after 1 oil change.  It's amazing how something so simple and be really aggravating.  I just can't stand anything that leaks.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 12:37:33 PM »
Something else must be going on if two different set-ups are leaking.That thing should be sealed up tighter than a Nun's **** with a new OEM plug and washer.Are there any gouges/deep scratches in the washer/case mating surfaces?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 12:43:56 PM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 02:07:38 PM »
Overtightening will split the case nub too, so then you try to get it tighter which only aggravates the problem by spreading the split further making it leak more. for your sake I hope its not that
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline dmazz71

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 02:32:07 AM »
Everything looks fine and I can't see anything, so it must be the gasket.  I warmed it up, pulled the plug and the case still looks perfect.  I would think a crack would be visable when the case is hot.  It's always something, isn't it.

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 02:52:36 PM »
put the plug & tighten it then look, even cold it will show if its split. May be wrong, still my guess though. when you pull the plug it takes out the swedge. i have yet to see an alu-washer take a sheet. their actually quite marvelous, far better than plastic
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline dmazz71

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 01:14:12 PM »
I did just that and everything appears to be fine.  The OEM washer seemed to be the culprit after all.  I didn't suspect it at first because it only had 1 oil change on it and appeared to look ok until I compared it to a new one.  I replaced the washer, ran and rode if for about 5 minutes.  I didn't see any noticable leaks, but I will keep an eye on it.  The OEM washers seem to compress a tiny bit almost like a crush gasket.

Anyway, I can't wait to take it to the MX track in NH to break in the new wheels and tires.  The new nobbies are gripping like spikes and it's hard to keep the front wheel down.