Author Topic: KX500  (Read 21632 times)

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
KX500
« on: May 29, 2012, 05:23:11 AM »
Soooo the wife and I went on a nice trail ride this weekend. She just got her MC endorsement and actually took my advice that trail riding is one of the best ways to build balance and riding skills. This was a easy slow ride so the KX stayed home. After, we had a good talk. While she supports me in my projects she did prompt me to think about why I am modding the KX5 for the street, or even have it for that matter. ?Because I can? used to be a quick return to that?
While this is my third KX500, I am some older since I had the second one. At 57 I am going to give some serious thought to this. I have always just jumped into a project and done it, then usually end up selling it within a few years. Some I have talked about selling right after I start them! The little 2001 TW200 I bought brand new is the longest I have ever kept a motorcycle, and I even talked about selling it a few years ago. Most are here and gone within two years. Lots were a year or less. Some projects were more fun then others, but they still ended up going away. Bored with them I guess?
Might be time to slow down or pick and choose my projects that I really want to do and keep. I have already entertained selling the KX5 a couple of times since I bought it. I stopped doing car projects some years ago. Might be time to stop the motorcycle madness as well? Yes, I am getting old. Sucks.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
Re: KX500
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 07:17:01 AM »
Going to forge ahead with the KX5, though I am thinking it may one of the last I do. Was hoping to have the wife?s little Kawasaki 250 painted this week so I could move forward with the KX5 but did a trial with sealer over the feathered FOUR colors of paint on her fairings and one color lifted. Strip time! Crap! Like I told her, "Being a 2005 with four colors of paint you can figure each color change is a dump or slide."
Checked it careful when I had it stripped down after her friend dumped it and we bought it and the major parts are all straight. If I had not re-jetted it, swapped the pipes for a Muzzy, cut down the air box and put on K&N's it and modified the fairings it would have been done a lot sooner. Just can?t leave them alone! Rode it commuting (84 miles round trip) last year with no fairings on it and it worked well.
Wife actually said, ?Maybe I will ride the KX 500 sometime? after her trail ride last weekend. I don?t think she really understands.........

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 04:17:49 PM »
57 and havent slowed down. That is awesome.

It is hard to grasp a 500's power. My wifes sister said I can ride once, so she got put on a 500. It was quite hilarious watching her IDLE around on the flatest ground she could find. Just watch out that your sweetie doesnt hurt herself showing off.

Dont give up on the bikes, even if you swap alot. Quite a bit of the fun is in the building. I'm 35 & in the last 2 1/2 years have owned 3 cr500's , 3  kx500's, 2 cr250's & a honda xr650l & a banshee. I'm down to a cr250/kx550af bike, 1 cr500, & the xr650l. Its fun making your hobby pay for itself in the juggling. Good luck & post up some pics of what you're doing
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 07:25:40 PM »
I have always enjoyed building as much or more then actually racing. Except maybe back when I was racing go karts. Eh, drag racing my old '55 Chev two door was pretty fun too. It really is more the "building" thing. I converted a spring piston pellet gun to a ?Scout? style (EER or pistol scope mounted forward on the barrel) a couple days ago. As soon as it was sighted in I thought, ?My father in law might like this!? Bored with it already!
Watching someone really good on a motorcycle I have put together is definitely more fun then racing it myself. I like riding hard, but watching someone REALLY good is like watching magic happen.
On the wife riding the KX5, ain?t going to happen. Not unless she convinces me she is very good on another bike first. I still like my wife (of 20 years) too much to let her do something that will get her hurt.

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 03:42:26 PM »
My son really wants a street bike & I've tried to explain

Not unless she convinces me she is very good on another bike first. I still like my wife (of 20 years) too much to let her do something that will get her hurt.

Practice on a dirtbike where your not going to get run over & you can really learn to operate the machine end of things instinctually, so when you get on the road in traffic your not thinking okay clutch brake oops no to much brake, when you should be thinking about the traffic.

20 years & still in love thats excellent  8-)

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 09:57:54 PM »
My son really wants a street bike & I've tried to explain

Not unless she convinces me she is very good on another bike first. I still like my wife (of 20 years) too much to let her do something that will get her hurt.

Practice on a dirtbike where your not going to get run over & you can really learn to operate the machine end of things instinctually, so when you get on the road in traffic your not thinking okay clutch brake oops no to much brake, when you should be thinking about the traffic.

20 years & still in love thats excellent  8-)

From one dad who's son just got his sons M/C endorsment to another, do your future MC riders a caring favor and mandate your kids taking the MSF course ! My son has been responsible dirt riding with me since he was 6, but still I wanted him to take the MSF course if he wanted his street license. I just bought my wife a small GZ250 and she too is attending the MSF and will have her license in about a month.

Most importantly get your kids/wife on a bike that has a low seat height, lightweight and forgiving on power. This makes acclimating to street riding MUCH less intimidating and fun. "big bike with big power = dropped/crashed bike"  I guarantee this ! 

http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 01:25:42 PM »
Great info Polar-Bus. Thanks

Didnt take the time raising them to have them go out  & get musshed

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 07:03:09 PM »
I have a post (maybe more!) about this very thing. One of the rules about me building my wife a bike was she had to take and pass the MSF course. I got the bike mechanically finished last year but left the fairings I had acquired sitting unfinished as I knew she would not push me to let her ride it on the street ugly and naked. Did not bother me in the least! I rode it a fair amount and really enjoyed it. Interesting side note is the bike runs like crap in a strong crosswind with the fairings off. Cut down airbox does that?
I got the information for her on the course. She asked me to teach her to ride, and I did, but still had the rule about her taking the course. She said she would not have passed without our sessions before she started the riders course.

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 07:11:25 PM »
Forgot to mention a guy at work just told me he has a VTX1800 and a complete 70's 750 Triumph project he wants to sell cheap.... Aaaarrrrggggg! Just say no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 01:08:05 AM »
Brute,
I'm the other side of the coin.  I all most never get rid of the bikes since 2004.  

I had an 02 VTX1800, put 40,000 miles on it in 3 years.  I owned it for 4 years but I was injured for one of those years.  Traded it straight across for a new KLR650.
Go for it, you will love the torque of the VTX1800.  

I'll be 55 in a few weeks, same girl friend for 21 years. We don't want to rush into anything. The only bad, she won't ride bikes because of back surgery.

I have a street K5 and I can tell you from experience.  NO fun on the street if you plan on keeping your license.  I streeted mine to ride on the highway between trail heads.  Some of the areas we ride require you to have a tag.  The State thought they could keep us out by requiring a tag- WRONG.

I do have the perfect bike  to learn on, 1976 KT250.
Low seat height, wont go over 40, turns on a dime and lots of torque.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:09:41 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 06:55:45 AM »
 :evil: this is your conscience speaking must buy motorcycles  :evil:

If there a steal by all mean grab them, you can always turn'm for profit & make riding pay for itself.

Danger that bike reminds me of the first Kaw I rode, it was a 360 though if I remember right, & you aint kidding torque just like a dang tractor. I was a spindley 13 year old & it kept me on my toes. I also have to applaud not getting the piece of paper to declare your relationship status. It certainly isnt what its about & getting the government involved, ie paper/permission, tends to ruin things.

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 11:22:23 AM »
My TW200 is a great bike for training or putting around slow as well.
My brother is like you, never gets rid of anything. I have more then made up for him. 80+ motorcycles owned, only have four now. Only one owned for more then two years.
My last KX5 I made street legal. Scared the crap out of myself with it a couple of times, but it sure was fun! It was just street legal dirt bike. This new one will be a bit more street friendly. 17" wheels and big fat tires, but keeping the dirt stuff so I can swap back fairly quickly.
All of the inspection dealerships I talked too except one will NOT inspect a converted bike without THEM doing the work. Kind of sucks. It would be worse to have them look at it and just reject it. State mandated they can only charge $100 for the inspection, but that could get expensive if they start playing games of rejection without telling why. Just sayin'...

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 10:09:49 PM »
Here's a pic  getting ready for our first father and son ride together. (Im the handsome, trim looking stud on the left  :-D )    The GSXR my son rides is a great bike, very low seat, smooth easy power down low, and it only weighs 480 lbs !

01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 12:04:38 PM »
looks like you've got some time and effort in those rides Polar.....they look near showroom!!
Is that a Kerker I see on the Kawi,or are my eyes playing tricks on me?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 01:52:27 AM »
Nice looking bikes! Saw this one for sale locally. Tempting...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/mcy/3058798607.html