Author Topic: 86' Kx 500 Bottom End Question.  (Read 2697 times)

Offline twosmokerider116

86' Kx 500 Bottom End Question.
« on: May 24, 2012, 12:37:24 PM »
Once I got the cylinder and piston pulled off, I noticed there is a lot of gas/oil mix in the bottom end. Like I can hear it slosh around. :? It smells old. Are you supposed like drain that somehow or what? Thanks.
86' Kx500 Pro Circuit Platinum, FMF Turbine Core II

Offline RoostDaddy

Re: 86' Kx 500 Bottom End Question.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 09:36:57 PM »
sounds like you have a carb issue that is flooding the bottom end.  If it were me I'd pull the motor and go ahead and put new bearings and seals in the bottom.  Also pull the carb apart to give a good clean and inspection.  If you dont have the money or all the knowledge, at least pull your motor and give the bottom a good drain. (only way is to dump it upside down, if the cases arent split)
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline elsurferdude

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:17:36 AM »
Hell there,   Yes i had the same problem with my 86' kx500.  I noticed the cause was from a bad crank seal-dry side(stator). When the seal goes bad the crank area looses its "vacuum" to pull the fuel/air mixture into the cylinder. So in reality the fuel just collects in the case. I used a shop tool called a Vac-cula which is an air operated vacuum that removes fuel from hydro-locked engines. But i highly recommend replacing seals and crank bearing because they're probably going to lock up on ya.

andrew-

Offline awak100

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 02:12:44 AM »
Well before you tare everything apart. turn bike on side and upside down let everything run out.   If the bike was laying down on side float bowl stuck open, it could fill crank up.  crank seal check.  drain trans oil.  leave drain plug out.  take diesal and fill crank up to the top.  leave over night.  if you come back next morning and its still full of diesal crank seals are probably good.  these guys sure like to tare bikes apart without checking anything.  Buy the way ive got 9 kx 500's and ive seen some s**t.  check before you tare apart.  2 stroke motors are double tough.  Its takes alot to kill them.  Bottom ends on 5's are really tough.  If your not rich, do research before you tare the bottom end apart.  Buy the way above method (diesal)  is a really good way to check case breakage,  if you loose a piston and it comes apart, If the case will hold a liquid its ok. or you can tare the hole trans apart like these guys. When you have 9 k5's you check s**t before you start ripping things apart.  It will save you alot of money to. 

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 04:44:07 AM »
Well before you tare everything apart. turn bike on side and upside down let everything run out.   If the bike was laying down on side float bowl stuck open, it could fill crank up.  crank seal check.  drain trans oil.  leave drain plug out.  take diesal and fill crank up to the top.  leave over night.  if you come back next morning and its still full of diesal crank seals are probably good.  these guys sure like to tare bikes apart without checking anything.  Buy the way ive got 9 kx 500's and ive seen some s**t.  check before you tare apart.  2 stroke motors are double tough.  Its takes alot to kill them.  Bottom ends on 5's are really tough.  If your not rich, do research before you tare the bottom end apart.  Buy the way above method (diesal)  is a really good way to check case breakage,  if you loose a piston and it comes apart, If the case will hold a liquid its ok. or you can tare the hole trans apart like these guys. When you have 9 k5's you check s**t before you start ripping things apart.  It will save you alot of money to. 
  congrats to having 9 K5's, you must have a wealth of knowledge.  I'm just glad that someone caught me getting all outta control on my post.  this guy will save you a lot of money in the long run.  :wink:

Offline twosmokerider116

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 06:17:39 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies! The Deisel mtthod was a great idea. And yeah now i know why It was filled up. Over night my bike fell and the float was stuck and thats how it filled up the crank. I had no clue it could do that. I drained it and now its fine! Haha, Oh well thanks everyone!
86' Kx500 Pro Circuit Platinum, FMF Turbine Core II

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 06:31:48 AM »
knowing what happened now, we have had floats just stick and flood the cylinder.  (a little fuel in the crankcases) Removed the pipe and spark plug, put it in gear and pushed it around enough to blow everything out.  pipe on with new plug and fires right up.