Author Topic: 1985 Crankcase reassembly Question  (Read 7409 times)

Offline dieselcamper01

Re: 1985 Crankcase reassembly Question
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 03:19:13 PM »
Got everything back together finally! Started up fine and shifts through the gears fine.

But, I am leaking coolant out the head. There was some corrosion that I thought I got cleaned up ok. Obviously I
have have some surface uneveness. Any thoughts on what I could use along with the gasket to help seal the head?
It is not spewing out but it is seaping in about four defined spots.

Can I use RTV or some such gasket sealer?

Unfortuneatly you're gonna have to pull the jug and lap the head and the jug mating surfaces.It's not a huge deal,just a set-back.
As for using RTV,no never.
Once you have the surfaces "flat",use either an OEM head gasket,or a Cometic....stay away from Athena gaskets!.You should not need to apply anything to the gaskets with lapped surfaces...some guys like to use Copper Coat for their own assurance/reasons.
I will say I like the Cometic gaskets alot.I learned about them from a member that no longer visits this site,unfortuneatly. 

Well that is a major set back. What type of place would I need to bring it for that type of work? And what is Copper Coat?

Offline dieselcamper01

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 03:20:37 PM »
Got everything back together finally! Started up fine and shifts through the gears fine.

But, I am leaking coolant out the head. There was some corrosion that I thought I got cleaned up ok. Obviously I
have have some surface uneveness. Any thoughts on what I could use along with the gasket to help seal the head?

did u get the oem head gasket from cmsnl?

No. Since I needed a couple other gaskets I went with a complete kit off Ebay. Windrosa? Something like that.

Offline dieselcamper01

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 03:31:28 PM »

Unfortuneatly you're gonna have to pull the jug and lap the head and the jug mating surfaces.It's not a huge deal,just a set-back.
As for using RTV,no never.
Once you have the surfaces "flat",use either an OEM head gasket,or a Cometic....stay away from Athena gaskets!.You should not need to apply anything to the gaskets with lapped surfaces...some guys like to use Copper Coat for their own assurance/reasons.
I will say I like the Cometic gaskets alot.I learned about them from a member that no longer visits this site,unfortuneatly. 

How about Moose kits? I can get that same day/next day from Dennis Kirk here in MN.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 01:18:15 AM »
You can easily do it yourself if you have a FLAT piece of granite/glass/steel,and some lapping compound that you can get at an auto parts store.The worst part of the job is taking out the studs in the jug,and that's not even a big deal.you "might" need a torch to heat up the cylinder to get the studs out.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself,I would pull the motor right outa the frame,pull the cylinder and head and bring it to a machine shop.Your local Kawie dealer should know of a machine shop that they use,unless they have someone on-site that can do it.I say pull the motor outa the frame because...it's only another 6 bolts and it really makes it SO MUCH easier to work on.

I've never used Moose gaskets....never even heard of Windrosa :?.I think at this point,you should just go with OEM gaskets,don't be cheap on this part of the job,or I can just about gaurantee you'll be doing this all over again,much sooner than later :wink:.  
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:23:12 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline dieselcamper01

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 02:41:12 AM »
You can easily do it yourself if you have a FLAT piece of granite/glass/steel,and some lapping compound that you can get at an auto parts store.The worst part of the job is taking out the studs in the jug,and that's not even a big deal.you "might" need a torch to heat up the cylinder to get the studs out.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself,I would pull the motor right outa the frame,pull the cylinder and head and bring it to a machine shop.Your local Kawie dealer should know of a machine shop that they use,unless they have someone on-site that can do it.I say pull the motor outa the frame because...it's only another 6 bolts and it really makes it SO MUCH easier to work on.

I've never used Moose gaskets....never even heard of Windrosa :?.I think at this point,you should just go with OEM gaskets,don't be cheap on this part of the job,or I can just about gaurantee you'll be doing this all over again,much sooner than later :wink:.  

Thanks for the pointers. I will give this a try myself first. My only fear is a head stud breaking but it needs to be done regardless so I may as well try.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 06:54:20 AM »
more than likely you're gonna get at least ONE that's gonna fight you,that's where a torch comes into play.Just don't OVER heat it!!....it can withstand some heat,but not that much.   
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline dieselcamper01

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 07:23:39 AM »
Thanks Foxx. I will be careful.