Author Topic: Bad Stator?  (Read 6047 times)

Offline stevea100m

Bad Stator?
« on: May 21, 2012, 05:12:01 AM »
Hey guys im posting here cause I am ripping my hair out trying to figure this out. Last week I went riding at a local track on my kx250af which uses an 03 kx250 motor. I made about a lap and a half when the bike quit unexpectedly. As soon as it quit I realized that I had left the flywheel loose from when I put the bike back together. I got it back to the truck and pulled the side cover off to find that the woodruff key had exploded but had not hurt the crank or flywheel. So I put a new key in it yesterday and made sure before I decided to go to the track to make sure it ran and to my amazement it wouldnt. I changed the plug then started checking for spark and there is none. Looking at the stator it doesnt have any visible damage at all. I started using a test light on the plug at the end of the pig tail for the stator and it doesnt light up on any of the pins. Is it possible that the startor took a dive when the flywheel came loose? Also if anyone has a manual for an 03 kx250 could they tell me the ohms spec for the stator?

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: Bad Stator?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:53:31 AM »
I had this happen too (but on my k5). In my case, the woodruff key kept messing up. Once it had spun it messed up the end of the crank, but looked ok to me. I ran a flywheel weight for a time to ensure that it would stay together. flywheel weights have a center mount plus have set screws around the perimeter. I ditched the flywheel weight once I had a different crank in it. Spark is sometimes hard to see during the day, but pretty easy when its dark. Also I noticed, if I pulled the plug, put it in the boot and really kicked it, it was even easier  to see the spark than when slowly rolling the engine over. Also when my key spun, I had pieces that were stuck to the magnets. Make sure your ground wire is clean and tight too. can't hurt to pull it all back off again and be sure all is aligned and connected. An impact screw driver with a #3 phillips tip is handy here. I'm talking about the type of screwdriver that you hit with a hammer to break loose stubborn screws with. I also have installed new plugs that would not fire, not often, but be careful ruling out stuf that you already have been over. There's lots of threads about testing the coil and stators too

Offline alward25

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 11:27:17 AM »
Are u using an oem key are one that looks right from the hardware store?
"Let there be light"

Offline stevea100m

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 02:05:27 PM »
Mine is an oem key dont think one from the hardware store would work

Offline alward25

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 05:06:15 PM »
It would not, went the "its looks about right" once from the hardware store, it was not  :cry:

Alex
"Let there be light"

Offline Magnus

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 11:03:43 PM »
Have you checked the air gap between the sensor and flywheel? maybe the flywheel knocked it out of position when it came loose..
Anyway heres the Ohm specs:

Stator:
Yellow to yellow/white: 1-4 Ω
White to red : 10-30 Ω

Sensor:
gap: 0.63-0.67mm
Green/white to White/yellow: 180-280 Ω

I have the manual so if you need anything else just ask..
Magnus

Offline stevea100m

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 04:28:00 AM »
im assuming your gap measurement is mad when the bump on the flywheel is in line with the pickup?

Offline stevea100m

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 04:39:17 AM »
ok so just did some ohms testing  and they yellow to yellow/white give me 2.3 ohms the white to red gives me an OL on my ohms meter so im assuming the stator is toast? would I be correct in saying that?

Offline Magnus

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 05:06:52 AM »
Yes the gap is measured like you said.
I assume OL on the meter means infinity, so that would be an open lead Im afraid...
double check that the meter is set in the right range and that the wire itself is not the culprit before you toss the stator though.

Offline stevea100m

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 07:09:14 AM »
double checked it with another meter. I got another one on the way but it was actually a really good buy cause I got a whole motor for 250 bucks with a bad crank so Im gonna steal the electrics while I rebuild the engine so I can put my steel frame kx250 back together ast this motor is in my AF conversion