Author Topic: PC Platinum 2 Pipe  (Read 6073 times)

Offline Motoroost1

PC Platinum 2 Pipe
« on: May 10, 2012, 08:48:18 AM »
I am considering replacing the FMF Gnarly pipe on my K5 ( corrosion ) , and I was wondering if anyone has tried the PC Platinum 2 pipe ?
I am just trail riding so a bottom end / midrange pipe is what I am after ( similar to the Gnarly ) . Does the PC pipe offer any performance advantages or disadvantages ? Just doing homework before I buy anything .

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: PC Platinum 2 Pipe
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 08:53:53 AM »
If I remember correctly,there is a few threads on the PC-vs-FMF...and the PC was a hair better on the dyno,and I want to say that if you could find an FMF Fatty,that was even a hair better.Do some searching,you should find the answers you're looking for on here.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Motoroost1

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:42:03 AM »
I see that FMF is only listing the regular Gnarly and the Desert Gnarly now for the K5 . That's it . PC is only listing the regular Platinum pipe . That's it . However , a local dealer says that one of his suppliers still has a Platinum 2 pipe in stock but when it's gone , it's gone .

So , my choices seem to be very limited . I am fairly happy with the regular Gnarly , but , the previous owner of my bike did not take care of things very well and allowed the pipe to rust . I have fixed it up as best as possible , but , there's nothing like a brand new pipe :) Just not sure if I should grab the Platinum 2 while I can . I'll try to search as many threads as possible .

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:59:52 AM »
there's nothing like a brand new pipe :)

+1 on that statement!!

You've probably already considered this,but you could also take a gamble on e-bay...but,it's just that..a gamble.I see new PC and FMF pipes listed on there periodically....but I just can't bring myself to take that gamble buying one from e-bay.I read the Feedback on the sellers,and some buyers are saying that the sellers don't have the item in stock...after they've paid for it and waited 2-3 weeks and nothing shows up on their doorstep,or it's not the right one.If you really want a new pipe that bad...I'd grab that one your dealer knows of,quickly!
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline greencannon

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 03:48:22 PM »
I scored a great stock pipe online for really cheap. its a bit heavier but the low to mid power delivery is awesome.
 The FMFs and PC were great but still have a little of that "on the pipe" feel. The stocker is abrupt and smooth right off idle. It's the tractor pipe, Im in love again.

Offline Motoroost1

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 01:10:07 AM »
I just checked on the PC Platinum 2 and it is gone . Availability is now zero . So , I guess stock or Gnarly is the only option unless I roll the dice on e bay . Oh well , what can you do ?

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline Motoroost1

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 03:43:35 AM »
My K5 is a 2003 . Not sure if an 88 pipe would fit correctly .

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 03:46:39 AM »
All other pipe listings say 88-04

And I just went confirmed this by looking at part numbers.

The look of a works pipe is just amazing :-O
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 03:53:34 AM by 1989kawasaki »
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline dieselbeef

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 06:23:44 AM »
plate the one ya got

Offline Motoroost1

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 08:03:58 AM »
It's actually less expensive to buy a new pipe than to replate the old one in my area . It's not a big deal anyway . I've had good performance with PC pipes on my 2007 KX250 , so that's why I had asked about the PC for the K5 . If a PC pipe was readily available and competitively priced , I would likely give it a try just to see how it worked compared to the Gnarly . It's not readily available without extra cost and effort ( import it from a U.S. dealer and pay shipping , customs and tax ) , so , I'll likely just stick with the Gnarly and move on . I can get a replacement Gnarly ( either version ) within 2 days . The bike works great as it is and I have little to complain about regarding it's performance . Anyway , we'll see what happens .

Offline martyestes

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 08:43:51 AM »
Greencannon, interesting comments on the stock pipe. I actually like the look of the stocker, with that bend in it also. I'm a low to mid guy...it makes a difference, eh? I just rebuilt the bike and have only ridden it with the Pro Circuit pipe.  I experienced the same thing with my CR480.  I much prefer the stocker over the considerably fatter-looking DG. Ran the DG once and sold it. Put the stocker back on and was happy.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 08:48:49 AM by martyestes »

Offline ramblnman

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 09:31:34 AM »
anyone know what is the hp gain with the  platinum 2 ?

Offline Motoroost1

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 10:24:37 AM »
I've got a stock pipe ( came with the bike ) and I might just throw it on to see how it works compared to the Gnarly .

Offline joko

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 01:52:10 PM »
 I have a FMF fatty for sale on ebay, exc cond, $200