Author Topic: sprockets and gearing .  (Read 4209 times)

Offline oldman693

sprockets and gearing .
« on: May 06, 2012, 01:29:19 PM »
OK . The other day I drag raced a raptor 660 . Needless to say it didn't go like I expected . The raptor actually got me from the line all the way up to third gear . By the time I made it to third I ran out of room and had to start slowing down . 1 time I actually got him but 4 out of 5 he got me and this guy was in shorts and flip flops . I talked to a few riders and they told me my kx should have been able to get that raptor off the line and through mid range . I know my bike needs a back tire but even on asphalt it doesn't hook like a motocross bike . The engine is very much alive and runs great so here is my question . 1995 KX500 . 14 tooth front sprocket 47 tooth rear sprocket . What is the factory sprocket settings for this bike and what is the motocross sprocket settings . I am looking for a good holeshot setup not top end . It is fast as hell top end but I would love to lose some of that top end and keep the power down low since I will be doing alot of close in racing and will hardly see 4th or 5th except when playing in the pits
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 01:32:19 PM by oldman693 »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: sprokets and gearing .
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 01:38:47 PM »
I have raced a lot of quads on my K5 and they nearly always take it off the line unless they are very under powered.
It's 3rd gear on up that the K5 comes alive.
The problem is weight distribution VS tire contact area.
They can launch hard out of the hole because they can lean forward and hammer it as hard as the bike can go.
Realistic gearing aside you can't without a 2' extended swing arm.
At least I can't :roll:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline oldman693

Re: sprockets and gearing .
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 04:40:25 AM »
ok . aside from that what rear sprokets is everyone running ? what is factory ? what is ideal for quick take off versus top end ?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 04:57:23 AM »
14-47 is stock....I run 14-48.I run in alot of sand/grassy loam and it works good for me....but I'm interested in trying 14-49,there's a few guys on here that swear by that combo.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Motoroost1

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 09:43:34 AM »
I use 14 / 49 and like it . Great pull through the gears ( especially 3rd and 4th ) and enough top end to get easily dead . 85 mph with ease .

Offline awak100

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 01:10:38 PM »
13-49 gear the pig down. nobody needs a 100mph dirt bike. 

Offline z50guru

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 06:57:26 AM »
Im partial to 14/48 for Hill climbing. Also curious about a 14/49 combo though. Gotta wear this gear set out 1st tho.  :-D
>>>> Point >>>> Twist >>>> Climb >>>> Conquer >>>> Repeat >>>>

Offline powerfreak88

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 09:42:20 AM »
I run 14/46 on my 93 and find that it works well for me in all situations. It still works good in tight trails and has great top speed.
   When i drag race i always launch in second gear and i have yet to be beaten. (knock on wood lol) I just raced my buddy's heavily modded TRX 450 quad last week and smoked him from start to finish.
Too much power. Blah I've never heard of such nonsense. Twist the throttle and quit your whining.

Offline alward25

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 10:34:26 AM »
Isn't that the whole point of owning a KX 500 in the first place, because you wanted the fastest knarliest bike on the planet!!!!!!

13-49 gear the pig down. nobody needs a 100mph dirt bike. 
"Let there be light"

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 10:53:16 AM »
Isn't that the whole point of owning a KX 500 in the first place, because you wanted the fastest knarliest bike on the planet!!!!!!

Or having a bike that'll scare the hair off your balls at the very least! :evil:
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 02:55:40 PM »
I dont ride anywhere that I can go tapped in 4th or 5th, and not really worried about going top speed on my 500. Having said that, i would say the 14 -47 is good for sand riding and hauling the mail on the speed on flat ground, but for faster acceleration, or tight trails or hillclimbing technical terrain, 13 - 47 or -49 is good for me. the difference between 14-48 and 14-49 is not even noticable. I would never bother changing a back sprocket unless going with two teeth change at least. Also, when you go 3 teeth in back, it is very close to 1 in the front. Front sprockets are alot cheaper and require less chain adjustment. Alot of times on a stock swingarm, 2-3 teeth in the rear requires you to add or subtract a link. If you really want to play with gearing and feel the difference, I suggest playing with the countershaft.

wow, Sandblaster, 2 foot? or do you mean 2 inches? I am 8" longer than stock on my hillclimber and run 13-47 or 14-47 mostly. I like the 13-47 best, but in reality it is tricky to hook up your bike for an actual race. There is alooooooooooooot to know about gearing, suspension, and the dirt or sand you are racing on to make the best choices. You could have ten different experienced racers on the same bike and they would all choose totally  different set-ups, and can still be fast no matter what direction they take it. It has alot to do with riding style, and how well a bike performs due to multiple conditions. The only way to get to the bottom of it, is to experiment and don't forget what you find out.