Author Topic: Fuel Tank Decals  (Read 4466 times)

Offline dmazz71

Fuel Tank Decals
« on: April 28, 2012, 12:12:14 AM »
Hi,

I want to replace the decals on my 03 K5 tank, but I don't want to waste the money if they're just going to bubble again.  I have heard that removing the check valve in the vent line will eliminate the vapors from bleeding through the tank?

Thanks

Offline Motoroost1

Re: Fuel Tank Decals
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 01:21:32 AM »
Not sure what the solution is , but , I just replaced the tank decals on my 2003 K5 with the factory decals . They were extremely expensive and went on perfect . Lasted a grand total of two days and they were all bubbled up and looking terrible . Not happy .

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 03:46:32 AM »
To put new OEM decals on a tank that has had fuel in it already,is almost certain to destroy the decals...unless you plan on buying a new tank as well :|.That's why when you buy aftermarket decals,they come with slots or small circular holes pre-cut into them,so the fumes can escape.Here's a pic of my N-style graphics showing the slots cut in them.Mine is a 95,so it's seen it's fair share of fuel...and still no bubbles.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:47:48 PM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline dmazz71

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 11:06:19 AM »
I have an 03 too, and was thinking of spending the 100 buscks to get the OEM ones.  Maybe I'll just pull them off instead.  I would like to get a new tank, but the OEM ones are around 275. 

Offline Motoroost1

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 11:23:35 AM »
I had to pay $60 + tax for each tank decal ( just the tank )and it bubbled in two days .

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 11:05:15 PM »
I would like to get a new tank, but the OEM ones are around 275. 

$275 is not a bad price at all for an OEM tank...Mid West Action wants $350 for my 95,and $390 if I bought it at my local Kawie dealer....that's IF it's even still available.Then plus another $175 give or take for the OEM graphics,would've put me well over $500,possibly closer to $600....just was'nt very intriguing when I don't "need" a new tank or graphics. 
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 03:41:06 AM »
Clarke makes reproduction tanks for the 500 in standard sizes for around $200.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline dmazz71

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 12:04:45 PM »
Hi,

Where did you get the N-style graphics, those look really nice.

Thanks

To put new OEM decals on a tank that has had fuel in it already,is almost certain to destroy the decals...unless you plan on buying a new tank as well :|.That's why when you buy aftermarket decals,they come with slots or small circular holes pre-cut into them,so the fumes can escape.Here's a pic of my N-style graphics showing the slots cut in them.Mine is a 95,so it's seen it's fair share of fuel...and still no bubbles.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 02:01:07 AM »
dmazz71
I got really lucky.I went to a discount riding gear/accesory shop I used to go to in the late 90's this past winter....and there they were hanging on the shelf.They were'nt perfect,some of the protective backing had started to lift....so it took a while to get them to sit right with a heat gun and some patience.I even called N-Style to see if they would/could make me another set....they said they could,but,it would'nt have been very cost effective....meaning quite pricey.But they came out pretty good.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 03:38:39 AM by Foxx4Beaver »

Offline ramblnman

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 06:47:57 AM »
nice looking bike foxx!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 07:16:02 AM »
nice looking bike foxx!

Thanks...it's definately been the most fun bike I've owned as far as buying things and tearing it down to do maintenance.I have more fun working on the 500 than I do my 04 KX250,and all the other 250s and 125s I've had in the past.