Author Topic: KX 500 Burns tranny oil  (Read 4155 times)

maicobreako

KX 500 Burns tranny oil
« on: February 28, 2003, 02:12:13 PM »
Anyone out there in Kx 500 land ever had trouble with there engine burning transmission oil?  Heres what I've done to this engine in the past three seasons to try and solve this. Disassembled complete engine replaced primary and mag crank seals and bearings, Checked crank run out (o.k). Tried different case sealer glue, dissassembled engine the following year ,replaced bearings and seals again, surfaced case halves on a surface plate (flat), polished crankshaft journals ,(where seals run), checked runout again (o.k.). STILL LEAKED OIL!. This year I blocked the exhaust port and capped the intake port (sealed) and pressureized the complete engine to see if there was a pourus casting around the primary crank bearing, sure enough the three casting depressions in the right hand crank case around the bearing bubbled out my soapy liquid. So I epoxied in these three spots and reasembled.  IT STILL BURNS OIL, Anyone had problems like this on any bike , I know of six other KX 500's and none ever had this problem. :evil:

KXT500

KX 500 Burns tranny oil
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2003, 03:45:30 AM »
try a non haqrdening silicon sealer around the leaking area. the epoxy will fill a void but it is not a sealer.

banshee_srb

AIR LEEK AND BURN OIL
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 10:28:22 AM »
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM! I'AM PRETTY SHURE THAT THE CRANKSHAFT BEARING ARE THE PROBLEM!!! I DID THE SAME THING AS YOU PUT DEPRESS IN THE CRANKCASE(15 PSI) BUT MINE STILL KEEP PRESSURE.I PUT UP TO 80 PSI OF PRESSURE AND IT START LEAKING BY THE POWER VALVE SHAFT (CYLINDER ONE)I THINK IT'S THE VIBRATION+INADEQUATE HARDENINIG BEARING(JOBBER ONE)THAT CAUSE MY LEAK!!!!!

I'LL GIVE YOU NEWS ON THAT!!

5Hundy

KX 500 Burns tranny oil
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 12:31:03 PM »
DO U MEAN BURNS OIL AS IN USES IT OR JUST TURNS IT BLACK AS MINE TURNS FRESH OIL BLACK AFTER 1 RIDE..WHICH IS NORMAL.

U COULD SELL IT AND BUY AN 04 BEFORE THEY GO OUT OF PRODUCTION

WHAT DOES KAWASAKI SAY??

kawdude

KX 500 Burns tranny oil
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 03:02:39 PM »
How about the crank fit to the bearing and seal.  Mine was shot so I had to replace the crank.  I can't say that it burned oil just a lot of vibrations.  Could the bearing be loose in the case?  Is anything cracked.  On my rebuild this spring I use 3bond 1211 works great.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
KX 500 Burns tranny oil
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 04:42:00 AM »
It sounds like the bearing wore the crank case out. Which usally happens by letting the bearing wear out and/or the crank coming out of true (typical for a 500). The bearing starts ovaling in the pocket of the crankcase.

banshee_srb

KX 500 Burns tranny oil
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 01:37:03 PM »
finaly it's the left crank case!!!! it leak from the three steel slot of the main crank bearing sleeve that goes thru the left aluminium crank case !!!!The sleeve is loose in the casing and let air and oil go in the crank case it self!!! i have take pic's and movie of it if somebody want to see it just ask!!!

Thanks for all guys!!!

banshee_srb

KX 500 Burns tranny oil
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 01:40:00 PM »
sorry i mean the right hand side!!!!!!!!!

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
KX 500 Burns tranny oil
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 04:44:38 PM »
I'm curious if you have a way to get pictures.

WILLETTS

KX 500 Burns tranny oil
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 04:08:21 PM »
Wow! its been a while since i posted that!  I use my k 5 for ice racing only and since that post I never touched the engine.  Two winters of burning tranny oil. But beleive it or not that bike still runs strong and is the only kx 500 out of about 8 other kx 500's that hasnt seized or blown out crank bearings. I havent fixed it because of time and finances ,but I still show up when the lakes freeze and the bike goes like a freight train . In fact it burns so much oil that Have to check it and add aproximately 400-500 ml of oil within about two hours of track time. This is quite the torture test I know, but the bike just wont quit. of course its sluggish off the line but at 95 mph + down the straights on a half mile ice oval it still rips. I jokingly call it my oil injected KX 500 I was thinking of putting two stoke oil in the tranny (just kidding). One other thing is that I only ended up using a 172 main jet ! even though the temperature was almost 30 degees colder than summer time! I know you will all think Im some kind of nut sack but its almost become a mission to see how much torture I can bring on this old 97 k5.
Oh did i mention that since Ive owned the bike since 98 its only had one new piston and rings installed! and thats being ridden for two years of mx and four years of ice racing.
Just goes to show you how tough thes bikes are.
  I will be looking into doing a complete rebuild this fall  however ,The whole works , maybee even rebalancing the crank for a higher rpm range we are also doing some engine theory on shortening the stroke and upping the bore dia .Yeah we think a little differently up her in CANADA.
Like the old saying goes "run what ya brung" and our fovorite "I dont give F&%K how they do it in CALIFORNIA.

WILLETTS

KX 500 Burns tranny oil
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2004, 04:16:33 PM »
My user name is MAICO BREAKO not WILLETS? :drunk: