Author Topic: Excel Rim and Spoke Kit  (Read 2796 times)

Offline dmazz71

Excel Rim and Spoke Kit
« on: April 19, 2012, 11:24:11 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone know if the Excel 7000 series spokes will fit the stock K5 hub without drilling them out?  I heard the 7000 series will fit stock hubs, but I haven't been able to verify it.  I've heard bad things about Pro Wheels and Moose, so I was hoping the Excel spokes would fit right in.

Thanks

Offline alward25

Re: Excel Rim and Spoke Kit
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 02:17:55 PM »
Pretty much any aftermarket spokes are made a little bigger and you would need to drill your hub.  Not a big deal  I just use a ream instead of a drill bit.  Cuts cleaner to bore the hole.  Pro wheel and moose, like most aftermarket wheels are good products.  What happens is when somebody will set them up and either do it wrong, or not check the spoke torque after your first ride.  I have Warp 9 and Pro Wheel on 2 different bikes.  I like the Warp 9 spokes better, hex nipple instead of slotted nipple on the inside of rim, unless Pro Wheel has changed something.  The hex is easier for assembly.  Customer support at both places is really good.  Warp 9 sells a rim called "Halo".  It is comparable to the Excel A90,  just less expensive.  I have had my Warp 9 complete sets for 3 years on my K5 and I could not ask for a better set up. 

Good Luck,  Lacing a wheel if you have not done it before can be FUUUUNNN :-D

Alex
"Let there be light"

Offline serafin

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 02:21:21 PM »
Yes they will fit.  A better option is a Buchannan's spoke kit with stainless steel nipples for the same money.

Serafin

Offline serafin

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 02:26:55 PM »
My experience with both Excel and Buchannan's is that you do not have to drill out your hub, the spokes will fit a stock KX hub just fine.

Serafin

Offline alward25

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 03:20:46 PM »
Might be, the last Buchanan spokes I got I had to drill the hub.  Won't know till you try putting them in.   Unless you call them ahead of time.

Alex
"Let there be light"

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 03:44:38 PM »
The 7000 series is for their rim, it's the type of aluminum that they use. Excel spokes are steel or stainless steel, straight or tapered and the traditional and splined nipples are aluminum. I have relaced at least one wheel on all of my bikes and built sets of spare wheels and have never had a problem with the Excel spokes fitting an OEM hub. I've never tried Buchannan's but I know a guy that runs them on his KX500. :-D
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline dmazz71

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:37:48 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I just got the bike back together after replacing all of the linkage bearings.  The last thing is to order a set of wheels and tires.  Motosport seems to have a good deal on the Excel rim and spoke kit at $399.  None of my local shops can touch that price.  I usually do most of the work on my bike myself, but I don't think I'm going attempt to lace the wheels. 

Offline alward25

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 03:32:16 AM »
PM sent
"Let there be light"

Offline oic0

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 06:12:43 AM »
lacing not hard. Truing however, I found that to be one of those things id rather pay to have done.
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)