Author Topic: new to the site need help.  (Read 2886 times)

Offline dirtrider100

new to the site need help.
« on: April 17, 2012, 10:02:29 AM »
new to the site i just picked up a 1994 kx500 my first 500. took it out for the first time and it seems to be laging at about half throttle like ur riding with the choke on i took the carb off and the jets out and cleand them and still lags at half throttle.
im mixing my gas at 32:1 and run a br8eg plug and my main jet is a 168 and pilot is a 60

eney suggestions?

Offline 81cr450

Re: new to the site need help.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 12:11:55 PM »
Check your needle clip position & make sure your powervalves are moving freely. 60 is to rich on your main 58 or 55 depending on your elevation. I'll bet dirty powervalves though, the rubber boot above the water pump, pull it & move the arm there. Doesnt hurt to pull the pipe & visually verify movement as well
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 03:10:58 PM »
Also, you might want to let us know what elevation you are riding at as well as the average temperature.
It's amazing what altitude and temps will do to a bike...
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 05:35:38 AM »
new to the site i just picked up a 1994 kx500 my first 500. took it out for the first time and it seems to be laging at about half throttle like ur riding with the choke on i took the carb off and the jets out and cleand them and still lags at half throttle.
im mixing my gas at 32:1 and run a br8eg plug and my main jet is a 168 and pilot is a 60

eney suggestions?

I hope this post doesn't go where I think it's going.....

I've said it a hundred time and this make 101,  CHECK THE SIMPLE THINGS FIRST.  Don't be fiddling with jet changes if you have a old half fouled spark plug.

1) start with a new correct heat range plug swap. Test the acceleration. If you still have the mid bog, ok it's not spark.

2) We need and idea what exactly what the engine is doing is it loading up with excessive fuel, or is it starving for fuel and leaning out ? excessive fuel will feel very flat in the midrange, and the engine tone will sound deep and burbly. If your lean, the engine will quickly rev, sputter, and the rpm's will quickly flatten out. Your engine tone will be higher pitched and you might hear a crackle from the exhaust.

3) do a compression test. low compression  is the #1 culprit of "my bike fouls plugs and runs like crap" . Usually means a blown or tired top end.

I also recommend premix at 42:1 .  32:1 is simply wasting oil and tends to foul plugs for casual riders at lower rpm's .  last comment is your #60  pilot IMO is  too rich. I am at a #55 and my low end throttle response is crisp and clean. Correct pilot jet selection on the KX500 is critical to good running.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:40:59 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline dirtrider100

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 10:20:52 AM »
checked the power valves today took that rubber boot off and the pipe off and moved the valve back and fourth and looks clean and working. put a new plug in and the old plug looked wet like its running to rich and ran it up and down my street and still the same bottem end is good but when you get to half thorttel its feels loaded up like it whont clear out and the engine sounds deep i orderd a 55 pilot jet see what that dose i also live in sothern california

Offline cobbs

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:24:17 AM »
hey polar-bus my bike runs on 32:1 pre mix with a 170 main AT 5500ft never fouled a plug but I'm not afraid to ride my bike hard so that's probably why, but isn't that crazy that my bike runs like an animal with a 170 at 5500ft most people say that's to rich but my bikes performance doesn't lie its running amazing. That's crazy that someone at sea level would need to lean their bike up from a 168 also if its doing that past quarter throttle that's all in the needle and main jet, the pilot jet shouldn't effect it  at higher rpms if its got good low end

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 12:12:37 PM »
checked the power valves today took that rubber boot off and the pipe off and moved the valve back and fourth and looks clean and working. put a new plug in and the old plug looked wet like its running to rich and ran it up and down my street and still the same bottem end is good but when you get to half thorttel its feels loaded up like it whont clear out and the engine sounds deep i orderd a 55 pilot jet see what that dose i also live in sothern california

There is a possibility the kips can be incorrectly timed. This will cause a "soft" midrange, but your saying the engine is loading up, do a compression test, you need to be around 150 psi .
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart