Author Topic: lowering a KX 100  (Read 7830 times)

Offline sokal

lowering a KX 100
« on: September 03, 2004, 03:57:01 PM »
I am moving my son up to a KX100 from his KLX110 and he is just a little to short. Becuase he needs to learn to use the clutch and shifting, if he could touch the ground I think the learning curve would be faster. hopeing to find a low cost way because its only for a short time.

Thanks

mikesmith

lowering a KX 100
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 09:55:12 PM »
Cut the seat foam down.

Rick

lowering a KX 100
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 04:03:08 AM »
Make new dog bones that are a little longer. Will lower the rear, and then pull the forks above the top tripple clamp to lower the front.  I have used this method on LOTS of bikes to allow kids to grow into their machines.  I even posted a detailed explanation on how to make the new dog bone out of aluminum.  Cost, less than $10.  Just search the site for dog bone posts.  If you can't find it, let us know and we can help locate the post.

Good luck

Rick

Offline sokal

lowering a KX 100
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 03:48:34 PM »
Thanks guys, I guess he's better and taller then I thought. everything worked out without any mods needed

Offline revin

Re: lowering a KX 100
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 12:19:10 PM »
Does anyone have the dimentions / measurements to build one's own lowering links / dog bones?

Picking up a kx100 for my son & want to lower it.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 05:40:17 PM »
Welcome to the site.  I have lowered many bikes for my kids as they grew.  The KX100 should be no problem.  Building dogbones is easy.  The best material is 1/8" x 1" steel flatbar since this is a temporary thing and a bit more weight isn't the end of the world.  I have used 1/4 plywood scraps to mock up the dogbones with the bike on a stand. That way it is easy to drill a pair and temporarily mount them to see if you have got the seat height where you want it.  If you can draw with a CAD program, tape the printout to your steel and centerpunch the hole centers right through the paper (a cool trick that I use all the time).  You will need a metric drill bit or two.  Don't be surprised if a couple of mm shorter reduces the seat height by an inch.  The forks can be a bit more work.  If the junior rider is not taking big air the easiest thing is to simply cut the fork spring shorter.  You can add it back in later with a washer to separate them or get new springs. The best way is to disassemble the forks and add an extra top-out spring (which is the length of the amount you cut off the main fork spring).  Best source of the extra springs are automotic valve springs, all sorts of shapes and sizes and usually free (used ones) from an engine rebuilders machine shop. For conventional forks you can do the same thing OR I have often simply pulled one fork up in the tripple clamps so it reduces height while the other one prevents the wheel hitting the fender when bottoming.  Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 01:33:39 AM »
Just a few things to add drill both pieces of metal at the same time drill one end and if possible bolt them together then drill the other end. Also the steel is cheap and all you have to do is round the ends off on a grinder , so make a couple different sets but like cam said a couple mm will make a big difference. CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline revin

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 02:40:08 AM »
Thanks for the info gents, I'm looking for about 1 1/2 inches lower seat height. Do you think 4mm longer link should do the trick?

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 07:14:46 PM »
Thanks CBX I forgot that part...always drill them sandwiched (and clamped) together as a pair.  The leverage ratios are all a bit different so you have to experiment.  4mm might be right but you can't tell unless you mock it up or measure accurately with the rear wheel held in the desired (new) position. Cam.

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 08:39:10 AM »
http://www.koubalink.com/KX80.htm
I forgot about these, if your not very mechanical this might be your better bet. CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline tang8u

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 03:56:13 AM »
This is my sons bike that we lower

Tyler?s not very tall and we bought this for him when he was 10. Tyler is 12 now but the bike is still lower.

Bike is set up for Cross County events

Cut foam out of seat
Build lower links?.bought some off Ebay cut and welded turn buckels to them. That way it is an easy lower and raising

Lower front forks in the triple clamps

At one time we had  85 smaller wheel front 17 inch and rear wheel.

The bike now has the big wheel back on it. Goes throu the rust much me easily.

Tang

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 01:20:51 PM »
That turnbuckle idea is TITS!  I wish I woulda thought of that.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline chap

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 07:20:50 AM »
  Do you think that would work for raising the bike.My girlfriend is comming off a klx125,she is long in the leg but i think ia 125 motocrosser would be too much.If i shortened the dog bone a few mm would it raise the bike.In theory it should work shouldnt it.She is just a trail rider,just learning,no jumping or anything like that.Let me know guys what ya think.

Offline Sapper

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 03:15:44 PM »
Truthfully, Being there is an array of mini parts that are interchangable. Instead of investing time and money into a link set that may drastically change the geometry. ebay some 85 wheels. It will lower a bit as well as give him some wicked acceleration.