Author Topic: Would like your opinion...  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Derekfumi

Would like your opinion...
« on: April 12, 2012, 12:00:52 PM »
I need to completely rebuild an 87 KX5 engine. Do you think I should spend the money to rebuild it or try to find an 89 or newer engine. Just not willing to take a huge $$$ risk right now. Thanks for your help.

Offline cobbs

Re: Would like your opinion...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 05:30:14 PM »
87 motors are cool i hear they have a harder hit because they dont have the center exhaust valve and i still see quite a bit of parts for them on ebay even here i believe motrad has a 87 sleeve for sale for 30$ if its still for sale but there are definitely more parts for 89 & up

Offline don46

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 06:16:26 PM »
Was it me, I don't think I'd go that route. the KIPS drums and rack are discontinued, not a big deal if yours are good, but if you need them it is a big deal. I have also heard that the nut holding the countershaft sprocket is discontinued. If all your parts are good and you just need bearings and a new piston then your probably alright, otherwise who knows
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 09:35:53 PM »
Was it me, I don't think I'd go that route. the KIPS drums and rack are discontinued, not a big deal if yours are good, but if you need them it is a big deal. I have also heard that the nut holding the countershaft sprocket is discontinued. If all your parts are good and you just need bearings and a new piston then your probably alright, otherwise who knows

Good thoughts.  Investing big money on an older rebuild where parts availibility is becoming an issue, I personally would be very hesitant. It would suck of your $600+ rebuild goes boom a few year later, and now there is even less parts available..
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart