Author Topic: Bad headgasket  (Read 9328 times)

Motorrad

Re: Bad headgasket
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 12:57:30 PM »
hopefully my bike will be running tonite!

Should if head is flat...

For future people that look at this for help (bravo to you for using the search button)..

I know Im going to catch s**t for this .... But..

if all else fails..

there is a MAGIC product made by Honda...   Called    HondaBond HT   (has to have the HT in it)... NOT HONDABOND 4)..

fills gaps..    doesnt run out like coppercoat..      and is rated 100degrees HOTTER than coppercoat (600F).. ..    will also put up with the pressures involved in the cooling etc systems (Much higher blowout rating than anything else)..      Think of it as Silicone Godzilla on CRACK..

only as a last resort...     I have used it on several things that there was no other option..   and has held up VERY well (we are talking tens of thousands of miles). (coppercoat didnt work, and cant machine parts anymore.. (old norton heads, etc))...

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:12:21 PM by Motorrad »

Offline cobbs

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 05:15:16 PM »
everything is all good here i had zero problems with the cometic 3rd or 4th kick and bam she running zero leaks but that gasket is super thin am i still good with 91 pump gas?

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 09:32:55 PM »
everything is all good here i had zero problems with the cometic 3rd or 4th kick and bam she running zero leaks but that gasket is super thin am i still good with 91 pump gas?

So I have my facts straight, your head leaked badly with an OEM Kawi head gasket, but using a super thin Cometic head gasket you now have no leakage ?  Interesting outcome. Sorry , but i'm still hardcore believer in OEM gaskets. But hey, no more leak issues.. I would still keep a close eye on your coolant level. Elusive leaks will appear after the system is under normal hot pressure....
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline cobbs

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 05:32:21 AM »
I did not use OEM I said I  should have, I tried NE Super Gaskets cheap gaskets from China and as I already mentioned the gasket was the the problem not my cylinder or head there was a 6 thousands difference between the metal ring and the rest of the gasket after it was torqued down thats not going to seal on ANY cylinder so I believe it was the the quality of the gasket or should I say lack of  :wink:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:34:30 AM by cobbs »

Motorrad

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 06:11:43 AM »

The one I sent you is the same thickness as the later OEM kawasaki steel gasket..    so if you havnt messed with anything (decking head, jug, etc without correcting (cutting chamber)   you should be fine...   The cometic gasket comes with a coating (what Im told is Viton... I havnt confirmed this so dont take it as word of god)...  

The last OEM gasket I used.. didnt work out so hot..  wasnt in the best shape when I recieved it to give it some credit... I think like many "parishable" parts for a dirt bike that hasnt been made in nearly 9 years... have been Kicking around a bit...  (IE crank seals)..  Last set of OEM crank seals I ordered... were Harder than a rock...      Cometic crank seals are nice and FRESH... with a Date of manufacture on them too
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 06:17:41 AM by Motorrad »

Offline cobbs

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 01:36:43 PM »
well I'm a believer in cometic gaskets zero leaks. I broke it in and put a day of good riding on it and nothing, no leaks I'll be using them in the future!

Motorrad

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 01:48:56 PM »
well I'm a believer in cometic gaskets zero leaks. I broke it in and put a day of good riding on it and nothing, no leaks I'll be using them in the future!

Thei base gaskets are the only way to go...   No blowout issues as they are metal

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 10:38:50 AM »
I agree, CBX turned me to Cometic probably 15 yrs. ago and I have been stuck on them since.  Plus you can call them and order them as you would like, great customer support.  Too bad they still dont offer their rider support.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Motorrad

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 11:01:58 AM »
I agree, CBX turned me to Cometic probably 15 yrs. ago and I have been stuck on them since.  Plus you can call them and order them as you would like, great customer support.  Too bad they still dont offer their rider support.

Yep.  I custom order all my base gaskets to my specs

Offline awak100

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 08:12:36 AM »
I use copper cote by permatex.  Use it on every gasket on all nine of my K5's.  I like it on head gaskets because it also seals water ,   water is a tough liquid to seal.  Also use it on all other gaskets includeing clutch case gasket,  Nine times out of ten I pull clutch case and the gasket doesnt tare, use it again. 

Offline bilger69

• 99 Kx500
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 11:31:03 AM »
assuming there is no leaks, are the cometic metal top end gaskets designed to be installed without any sealant? such as coppercoat or hondabond HT?