Author Topic: Imperial Sand Dunes trip  (Read 6394 times)

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
Imperial Sand Dunes trip
« on: April 30, 2013, 01:36:15 PM »
First and foremost let me start off by saying that I had a bad experience at the dunes back in the 90's and I had no desire to ever go to the sand dunes again!!

With that being said let me say that I love the dunes!! :-D

My trip with Motorrad to the dunes this weekend was a blast.  A few sterotypes about the dunes were both busted and confirmed.  I would have to say that a dune trip could be a disaster or a great time depending on 2 MAJOR factors......

1. Going on a holiday weekend when the "dune goons" come out to play

2. Going to the dunes with the types of people I call "dune goons"

Going to the dunes on a weekend that everyone will be there is a recipe for disaster.  Going to the dunes as an inexperienced dune rider with the wrong crowd to guide you will lead to disaster.............

Neither one of these two examples occured during my awsome weekend.  Motorrad was an excellent tour guide and was very patient as I got my "sand dune" legs under me.  We saw various landmarks such as the spot were they filmed the scenes from Star Wars and Stargate.......I also got to visit Patton's Valley were General Patton was conducting desert warfare training during WW2........I got to see reminants of the old plank road that the old Model T cars would use to get through the dunes back in the century......

I got 2.5 days of good hard riding in and other than my crashing on a hill :roll: there was not a single close call.  The whole weekend we ran into 1 group of people that were in a small buggy and on a bike.....thats it.  We had the who place to ourselves and we could ride without the fear of getting slammed by some Metal Mulisha turds.

I took the wifes Warrior and Motorrad took his Honda 350X 3 wheeler.....by the way, Motorrad also disproved the theory that 3 wheelers are evil death traps that kill people.  Maybe the problem with 3 wheelers are the people riding them :|....

The wifes 2003 Warrior did awsome, yet another myth busted that the yamaha warriors are incapable machines.......With the modifications that I did to this Warrior it did great.....you can read about this Warrior by following this link....

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,11384.0.html

We had some good food each night and slept under the stars.  Campfire and good stories about past rides and past races made the time fly.  The weather was a bit warm at 100 degrees but we had a few tricks up our sleeves for that.  And as long as you were riding the hot weather was not even noticable.  

I have a newfound respect for the dunes as they are not as easy to ride as I thought.  between the large bowls and sharp transitions I found myself to be a bit hesitant at the beginning.  It took about a half day for me to understand how to ride these things but the one thing that I could not figure out was how to lead.  I still need more practice at being able to read the terrain and pick out smooth lines.  I let Motorrad lead the whole time and he was able to pick out lines and paths that flowed perfectly.

There is this hill out there that Motorrad now calls "Oscars Crash Hill"....hahaha......This is a hill that I made a few attempts on day 1 to climb but I just could not get the thing over the top....on one attempt I ended up tipping over and the quad slowley and gently rolled a few times before it came to a stop.  After a full weekend of riding thoughout the desert we arrived at the bottom of this hill again and with my seat time though the sand, I was able to make it up the hill with very little effort.....SUCCESS!!  Then Motorrad "one up's" me by climbing the hill with the front wheel in the air......what a turd!! :lol:

So our weekend ended on a good note with us stopping at this hole in the wall place where they had the best burritos.....ate some chow and headed back to reality.  A big thanks to Dave for being an awsome host at the dunes and for convincing me that the dunes are not an evil place.  I can't wait to go again only this time it will be on the K5. :-D

our arrival on Friday night

the old plank road....piece of history right were we camped

Motorrad on his vicious 3 wheeler death trap

Break time at the top of a hill

Taking a break by the canal......Motorrad ended up sitting in the cool water up to his chest

Those camps WAY in the background are the only people we saw and we never even saw them in the dunes riding

Nice photo down in a bowl....nice and cool in the shade

While I'm thinking about riding technique Motorrad thinks about a roll of UL listed electrical tape he found in the sand

I am the hopeless romantic who still writes his wifes name in the sand

Needless to say I broke off my whip a few times this weekend.......thanks for going back to find my flag Dave

All packed up and time to go home, be back soon :cry:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 01:44:13 PM by USMC 500 »
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

Re: Imperial Sand Dunes trip
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 05:02:43 PM »
Much better report than I could have written.   My report would have said. "I went to the dunes this weekend".   That's all..

O S C A R
W
E
S
O
M
E

As soon as my Internet is back on (computer). I'll post up some pictures
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:04:32 PM by Motorrad »

Offline Ims Roll

• Ride safe, Ride hard
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 05:34:09 PM »
what a pretty 350x really want one of them...
The 2-smoke runs deep in this one...

Offline SHLEPY

• Big Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 05:41:45 PM »
Brings back a lot of old memories sounds like you two had a good time cant wait for the 18th looking forward to getting back out with you guys.

Offline just ben

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 12:07:43 AM »
Nice pics.I made my first trip out there this past march  (from new york) My trip didn't end as well as yours did though, I learned what a kiddie track is at 60mph.

Offline alward25

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 05:20:27 AM »
what a pretty 350x really want one of them...

my wants to sell his, I said no way!!!  so it is in my garage now
"Let there be light"

Motorrad

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 05:21:03 AM »
I'd hope I could pick a smooth way through the dunes for you.  I've been riding through them since I was 3 yrs old (on my own bike).  And since I was 6 months old as a passenger.

And I forgot to mention.  First time I rode up Oscar crash hill.  I was 5yrs old on a 70cc bike..     Makes ya feel bad don't it...

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 07:27:07 AM »
I'd hope I could pick a smooth way through the dunes for you.  I've been riding through them since I was 3 yrs old (on my own bike).  And since I was 6 months old as a passenger.

And I forgot to mention.  First time I rode up Oscar crash hill.  I was 5yrs old on a 70cc bike..     Makes ya feel bad don't it...

not really cause you were full of hot air then like you are now and heat rises...... :-D
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 07:34:17 AM »

and just so oscar feels good.    a picture of a kid that cant even touch the foot pegs on a 70 on top of the same hill..

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 09:17:40 AM »
You still can't reach the footpegs.......but don't let that get you down..... :-D

Motorrad

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 04:17:29 PM »

I am the hopeless romantic who still writes his wifes name in the sand

we all turn into hopless romantics out there for some reason..

some of us just choose to write in the sand with their bike...