Author Topic: 93? or 97? Rear Caliper.  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Seneca Jim

93? or 97? Rear Caliper.
« on: March 22, 2012, 06:57:28 AM »
Ok so my bike is a 1997 frame with a 1993 engine. I've been told that in order for the motor to fit in the frame correctly that the 1993 swingarm and everything related to it was used. Is that correct? I bought rear wheel bearings and took the wheel off and there was no circlip nor was there a groove for one in the hub. My Clymers shows circlips in all the rims. I took the numbers off of the old bearings and seals that were there and was able to match them up and get new ones. Now... I need new rear pads and the pins are seized in the caliper. I'm soaking them but am prepared to buy a used caliper. I just would like to know that I am for sure buying the correct caliper as I believe there is some sort of a difference between the years that I have here. Also who might have the caliper in question for sale and for how much?Thanks. Jim

Offline RoostDaddy

Re: 93? or 97? Rear Caliper.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 11:57:01 PM »
well Jim sorry to hear your troubles, but I have no idea why you would need a '93 rear set-up for the motor to fit.  B.S.
to give you an idea, the '97 rear wheel uses 3 bearings/ the '93 uses 2.
Cant seem to remember when they changed the swing-arm /caliper mount design.  Some mount on the inside, others from the top.
If nobody else chimes in, check with Sandblaster.  He's a commercial member, OEM Cycle, with good knowledge and a good parts supply.  He may have the parts you need.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 08:49:53 AM »
What I mean with the caliper mounting, is that the '97 has a mount on the upper inside of the swing arm.  So it will slide into a top groove and side groove.  The earlier ones only slide into the side groove located in the middle of the back portion of the swing arm.  Hope this help shed some light.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 01:54:14 PM »
Hello.
I am out of town because my Dad needed emergency surgery.
Until I get back you can check my recorded interchange info on the KX250 here:
http://oem-cycle.com/KAWASAKIKX250BIKEID.aspx
When you get there, be sure to scroll to the right as there is a lot of info.
I can help more once I get back.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.