Author Topic: should it ilde ???  (Read 3303 times)

89kx500

should it ilde ???
« on: August 22, 2004, 05:26:17 AM »
:? does everyones 500 idle ??? my 89 500 won't idle at all and most times it doesn't matter to me as i am on the throttle, however while riding in the tight woods in first gear only it would help if it did idle, i'm pulling the clutch and keeping it running. yes paul i used the search function but didn't find much on this. i have new reeds the plug looks great, i clean the filter every ride...so i just wondered if the 500 is suppose to idle or is this the price to have 499cc??? thank you
                             sean(89kx500)

Dioxide211

should it ilde ???
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 06:35:10 AM »
Mine ildes no problem. If I let it idle for a long time it will load up and I will have to really get on it and clean it out, but it will idle.  I need to get my pre-mix and jetting sorted out and then it should idle without all the load-up.

I just can't decide if I want to mess with my 93 or update to a newer one for better forks. I am having trouble finding out when the K5's were updated to the newer forks..................Dioxide

91kx

should it ilde ???
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 08:11:57 AM »
Mine idles just fine and doesn't load up at all.
air screw 2 turns out
52 pilot
stock needle top clip pos.
175main
ngk br8es plug
stock reeds
dg pipe
pc mx silencer
fresh top and bottom end rebuild

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
should it ilde ???
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 02:13:55 PM »
very small idle here and I am running

42 pilot
stock needle 2nd clip (second to top clip)
162 main
br8eix plug
boyesen pro series reeds
fmf pipe/silencer
semi fresh lower and VERY small idle, with the screw all the way in, I get little idle.

mikesmith

should it ilde ???
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 08:36:01 PM »
Mine doesnt idle and I dont expect it to,thats supposed to be one of the advantages of a fly wheel weight on a 500,less prone to stalling (I didnt say it'll make it idle).'96 on up for the newer forks.

Rick

should it ilde ???
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 04:32:14 AM »
Yup, that little slug of steel does in fact keep the bike running.  I used to have problems with the bike shutting down when I squared a tight corner (full throttle into corner, chop throttle for turn, slam berm, full throttle out).  As I slammed the berm, the bike would sometimes die.  In a race, with someone hot on your tail, this is a bad thing.  Solution:  big round metal slug.

rradar

should it ilde ???
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 12:16:06 PM »
Had an idle problem and jetting problem; however, with the info and jetting chart found in these forums I managed to get the bike jetted pretty close and my idle perfected. I go from tight woods to desert to dunes so I'm constantly changing jets.
92 Octane Pump Gas
Maxima Super M @ 40:1 to 50:1
Sea Level to 1500', WA. State tight woods; 70-80 degrees, New top and bottom end:
FMF Gnarly Pipe/Answer Spark/Silencer
Boyseen Rad Valve, new reeds
165 Main
58 or 55 Pilot, depending on altitude/temp/mositure
Needle clip in top or second position
Air Screw @ 1.5 out
NGK BR7ES
Custom made Idle screw

My idle screw had a lock nut and vibrated completely out of the carb miles out in the woods one day. Bike never idled worth a d**n anyway. Got back home and checked this site and came across an entry which described making a custom idle screw. I don't know if this is a recommended technique, but it works for me. I went to the hardware store and bought some 5mmX.8 screws in different lengths (about 40 mm )and shaped the tips like the original screw using my bench grinder with the screw in a cordless drill to turn it evenly, like on a lathe. I replaced the lock nut with a small spring. Be careful not to damage the carb slide or throat when inserting a longer screw. Worked like a champ!

Offline KXcam22

should it ilde ???
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 02:51:45 PM »
My '92 idles great, Never been an issue. Probably would eventully load up if I left it idle for ever.
165 main
58 pilot
stock needle all the way down
air screw 1.5
boysen reeds
60:1 Belray H1-R, 94 octane pump gas
BP8ES

Are the 96 and new forks that much better? Fork tuning might be a good topic for a new thread. Cam.