Author Topic: Coolant Leak = Clutch Slipping?  (Read 2917 times)

Offline twosmokerider116

Coolant Leak = Clutch Slipping?
« on: June 01, 2012, 08:34:52 AM »
I know I have a bad seal somewhere in the waterpump. And I know thats what is allowing coolant in the transmission. But when I have it running and coolant gets into the transmission the clutch slips. Like really bad.  :?   Are they related? I know the coolant can cause the oil to change thickness and change in color. Now that I have the cover off and I can see the clutch, it really doesnt appear to slip, so that seems to me its not the plates. Help!

Thanks guys
86' Kx500 Pro Circuit Platinum, FMF Turbine Core II

Offline don46

Re: Coolant Leak = Clutch Slipping?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 09:45:38 AM »
I've had the waterpump seal leak and not had the clutch slip, not saying it can't. I would look at the plates, do they look or smell burnt? if so replace them. I also try to use heavier springs, 250 in the 125, 500 in the 250 and barnett in the 500
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline twosmokerider116

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 10:15:05 AM »
I've had the waterpump seal leak and not had the clutch slip, not saying it can't. I would look at the plates, do they look or smell burnt? if so replace them. I also try to use heavier springs, 250 in the 125, 500 in the 250 and barnett in the 500

They dont look or smell burnt. BUT they are as smooth as a babys butt. Normal? or need to be changed?
86' Kx500 Pro Circuit Platinum, FMF Turbine Core II

Offline awak100

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »
Most clutch fibers I've seen have wear grooves on them, even after market fibers.  If your fibers are completely smooth, there probably wore out.  Could mic them.  Would buy springs to.  I replace my springs at half the life of the clutch plates/fibers.  The reason I do this is the springs get heated and cooled alot and they loose there tension.  I've taken apart several 500's and the plates/fibers were in good shape.  Replaced springs and the clutch worked just fine.