Author Topic: Purchased a KX500 Package Deal and Have Questions  (Read 10519 times)

Offline tcoop474

Re: Purchased a KX500 Package Deal and Have Questions
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 07:01:03 AM »
Don't give up and sell her yours looks almost like mine when I got her!

86 k5 Pro Circuit Exhaust, bored .30 over all i know about it,
(restoration)
89 trx250r bored 68mm, Lrd exhaust, boyesen reeds, nacs graphics, k&n filter and more, currently under going complete rebuild.
87 trx250r bare frame (restoration)

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 08:29:07 AM »
I know im gonna take some harrassment for this but im truely a honda guy but for some reasone the Kawasaki's keep finding me. Maybe its a sign or somthing.  :roll:

I was a Honda guy back in the day. They are still decent. But I got my first 85 Kawasaki Tecate 3 wheeler back in 97. I was hooked on the green machines since. The power is like no other brand I have ridden.

I say restore the 87. You wont be disappointed. You can use the 89-04 piston if you can't find the 87 one. I believe Motorrad has an 87 with the 89-04 piston so he would be the one to talk to if you have any specific questions about fitment or machine work.

That 75 looks near perfect. Can't wait to see it finished. Videos of you riding it would be sweet too.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 08:30:20 AM »
late pistons go in early cylinders no problems.... :-)
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Millertime

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 11:44:56 AM »
I really need to invest in a media blaster for this thing to try to salvage some of the parts!

But anyway i have a few questions.

1. Motor parts is anything still avaliable throught Kawasaki or aftermarket suppliers if so what, or am i going to have to pretty much rely on ebay for everything?

2. Can plastics be retro fitted to the newer style?

3. Do the front forks on the bike work pretty good or am i better off updating to the USD forks on the newer KX500's?

Oh another update i found the engine serial number for the motor in the bike which is KX500BE001424 which i believe is an 1985 motor if im not mistaken.

Offline Millertime

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 12:00:08 PM »
That 75 looks near perfect. Can't wait to see it finished. Videos of you riding it would be sweet too.

Yea it was a really lucky find everything is orginal minus the white fenders and gas tank painted green! But absolutely once the restore starts there will be pictures from start to finish and once shes running you better believe there will be videos posted! :-D

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 08:16:10 PM »
yes, 85 motor.sourcing powervalves are the only issues with your 87 lump, (85 doesn't have p/v) but if they're good, your in business, I can find everything else or substitute a part from a newer model in certain places.hth, K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''

Offline turdle

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 12:26:57 AM »
you can get pretty much everything aftermarket,on ebay or alot of bike build sites,like our resident pinsonnault racing!! on the front shocks ,it depends on what you are going to do with the bike. if you are going to play ride,i say they are good enough. if you are going to race it, i would do a USD conv. on the plastics, there are some threads on site with step by step instructions for newer plastics :-)

Offline Millertime

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 02:09:14 AM »
Hey Turdle you wouldnt by chance have a link to one of threads with the plastic conversions would you? I tried using the search feature but perhaps im just not wording it correctly as im coming up empty handed.

Also i just want to say all you guys are awesome! Everybody on here is very helpful and very well mannered and i just want to thanks again for all your guys help and the help to come I really appreciate it!!  :-)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 02:37:28 AM »
maier manafacturing do an 87 kit

http://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/238

Offline turdle

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 05:13:41 AM »
after you have 10 posts ,you will be able to see more thread topics. there are a couple specifically under KX 500 origonal, retro fitting newer fenders to the older bikes. i bought my fender last fall but havent done it yet.92 straight fender mod is one of them
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 05:15:39 AM by turdle »

Offline Millertime

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 06:58:35 AM »
Thanks for the input on the plastics and engine parts guys. I just want to make sure if i decide to restore and keep this thing that im not going to into an issue were somthing breaks and i cant get parts then im stuck with a bike i cant ride.

Offline Millertime

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 11:59:22 AM »
Well i think im leaning towards getting the motors and other parts in good shape and sending it down the road. I want a 500 in the worst way but with parts getting scarce for this year of the bike it just makes me nervous about keeping it. I figure get a few bucks out of it and put it towards a newer model 500 and not have to worry about not being able to get parts.  :|

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2012, 05:12:42 AM »
I've had an 86 for 6yrs now, and the only problem I'm having with parts is the cash to finish my new shiny pile of bits, not finding them, but its your bike, if your happier with a newer one, do it....K.

Offline Millertime

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2012, 07:54:37 AM »
Well the way i see it is that if i restore this bike i want to use the bike to run on tracks and if i do that i want to update to the USD forks. Now by the time i get the bike all restored and update the front end and suspension i will never be able to get even half of my money out of the bike if i decide to sell it later for a newer model.

Also just curious as i have been looking for newer models, did they make more cr500's than kx500's because i was looking for a newer kx500 and you dont see nearly as many kawasaki's as honda's why is that?

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 08:14:50 AM »
Dont own a 500 in hope of keeping your money, it never works out like that......
think they made more cr5's, and they seem to last longer....