Author Topic: Lighting coil  (Read 10748 times)

ruputa

Lighting coil
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2004, 10:24:59 AM »
Rick..do you need to coat the wrapped wire with electrical varnish??? And rewinging the stator fix a bad stator or weak stator???

kawdude

Lighting coil
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2004, 11:03:02 AM »
I like to attempt this but have a couple of questions...
1. Where do the supplies come from?  Are you only replacing the coil wire itself?
2.  Can this process be done to replace/rebuild the regular stator coil..not the lighting?

Rick

Lighting coil
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2004, 03:04:03 AM »
Hmmm, renewed interest in making electricity.  Gotta love the do-it-yourself attitude on this site.   :wink:

The only reason I can see to coat the coil after winding is complete is to keep the wire from vibrating on itself and rubbing off the coating.  Since the KX500 has a slight amount of vibration  :D , I think you should coat the coil.  I visited with a local motor rewind company quite a lot on this issue, and they sent me to Home Depot to purchase two part epoxy that would adhere to plastic.  As it turns out, the type of epoxy its not critical, as long as it will bind to the plastic coating on the magnet wire.

As a note, I have removed the stator from the KX125 to try and wind a lighting coil, and the magnet wire on the stock stator IS NOT coated with anything.  Since the KX125 stator is built like a circle with lugs on which the wire is wound, I think I can just wrap 20 gauge wire over the top of the stator wire and get enough wraps to ignite a headlight.  

On the question of rebuilding the stock stator, most certainly.  I used an old stator (it was still in fine shape, but I just didn't need two extras, so I sacrificed it for the lighting coil experiment) and just removed the wire to get to the iron core.  When I removed the wire, I found that the stator wire is very small gauge (not sure exactly what gauge, but a motor shop can measure and determine for sure).  It also has LOTS of wraps.  In order to rewind a stock stator, you will need to match gauge and match the number of wraps.  Unfortunately, I'm not really sure how many wraps there are on a stock stator.  

If my stator every goes bad, here is how I will proceed.  I will measure the width of the wrap with a digital caliper before I remove any wire.  I will make an assumption on the thickness of the epoxy, and deduct this amount from my measurement. I would also check the resistence in a stock coil from a friends KX500.  Next, I will take the stator to the local motor rewind shop to determine wire gauge, and purchase wire (this stuff is cheap, and the shop I used actually just gave me both 18 gauge and 20 gauge wire on a spool for free.  I even tried to pay, but they wouldn't take any money, just wanted me to let them know how it turned out.  Cool folks.).  I would then wrap the core with enough wire to get really close to the measurement of the old coil.  Once the wire is cut, check resistence to make sure you are close.  I found that the number of wraps is not an exact science, and getting close seems to be good enough.  Based upon my wire removal of a stock stator, I would guess that the stock stator has 1500-2000 wraps, so I will build a little jig to hold the spool and the stator paralell, with a hand crank on the stator.  This will help keep tension on the wire as you wrap the core.  Once the wire is wrapped, I would install the stator and see if it runs the bike.  My guess is that it will work the first time.

Finally, on the lighting coil, this is AC voltage, so will not charge a battery.  If you want to run a battery, MOOSE makes a nice little regulator/rectifier that will provide DC voltage.  I have thought about running a battery to eliminate the low RPM low light problem, but rechargable batteries are expensive, so just elected to stay with AC voltage as my light is for getting back to the truck at dark, and not for street riding.

Let me know if I can help further.  Good luck

Rick

ruputa

Lighting coil
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2004, 12:37:44 PM »
Thanks for the info Rick!!

teamgreen500

Lighting coil
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2004, 01:48:09 PM »
Rick RULES!

This is the kinda discussion you only find amongst us Green-folk.

Now...Rick...how do we build and install an electric strater?

Manny

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
Lighting coil
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2004, 08:47:35 AM »
I know of a guy who managed to fit an electic starter to his Kawasaki. He worked at Kawasaki though and had "free" access to all of their spairparts. It can be done...

What about an instruction how to convert a KX500 to a trike?

Seriously Rick, thanks for the effort you put in. I admire your stamina and stubbordnes! You do whatever I think about doing (read which I did) and I am impressed.

Thanks,

//John

Rick

Lighting coil
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2004, 11:08:57 AM »
Actaully, I've given electric start some thought.  All we need is a ring gear on the rotor that will engage a small starter probably in front of the motor.  When I get old  :wink: , I will have to start giving this some thought.  For now, I just rely on my right foot...

Rick

porky

Lighting coil
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2004, 10:40:07 PM »
Parts needed -

Yamaha RXS100 rectifer diode,Moose Voltpack regulator,325 turns of 0.75mm magnet wire wound around a Suzuki X7 lighting coil core,and
a small 1.3A/Hour sealed battery (fits in airbox)

This core has the exact same hole pattern as a kx500 core but takes more windings,so you can use your stator plate to make a template to mount the second core,this has to be fairly exact as you only have about 1mm either way between the inner and outer parts of the flywheel,or kiss goodbye to the lighting coil its just taken an hour to wind.

One end of the coil wire is bolted to the fixings for the core,the other is extended out with flexible cable to the regulator/rectifier.

The fixings for the coil are M4 bolts tapped in to the stator plate from behind,and nuts on the front to space the coil off the plate.The bolt heads on the rear may need filling down so the stator plate fits properly

porky

Lighting coil
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2004, 10:42:16 PM »
Parts needed -

Yamaha RXS100 rectifer diode,Moose Voltpack regulator,325 turns of 0.75mm magnet wire wound around a Suzuki X7 lighting coil core,and
a small 1.3A/Hour sealed battery (fits in airbox)

This core has the exact same hole pattern as a kx500 core but takes more windings,so you can use your stator plate to make a template to mount the second core,this has to be fairly exact as you only have about 1mm either way between the inner and outer parts of the flywheel,or kiss goodbye to the lighting coil its just taken an hour to wind.

One end of the coil wire is bolted to the fixings for the core,the other is extended out with flexible cable to the regulator/rectifier.

The fixings for the coil are M4 bolts tapped in to the stator plate from behind,and nuts on the front to space the coil off the plate.The bolt heads on the rear may need filling down so the stator plate fits properly

mikesmith

Lighting coil
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2004, 07:34:13 AM »
So how many watts do you get out of this set up?You get the parts from a dealer or salvage yard?

porky

Lighting coil
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2004, 09:04:55 PM »
Got all the parts from a salvage yard,you just need to get the guy to let you rumage round in the stuff yourself,you may even find other cores that are the same dimensions,or might let you use thicker wire with the same turns,as for power,im not sure,but it seems ok with 2 25watt halogen spots,a stop and tail light and it manages to keep the battery topped up.Only thing you have to do is make sure you turn the lights on,or it burns up the regulator if your not using all the power its making

Offline barryadam

Lighting coil
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2005, 09:03:15 AM »
Electrosport in Oceanside advised today they'll have a shipment in this week of the correct units for the KX500.

If they are smaller than the L22 originally shipped, the output will be pretty low, especially at low RPMs.

I don't know who is making these ones for them.

I'll send pictures of the installation when it arrives.
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline barryadam

Lighting coil
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2005, 04:21:15 AM »
Well, "B-Minus" for the new coil (L31) :x .

It looked similar to the previous one (L22), and when installed interfered with the flywheel rivets.  I measured and it had 0.043" interferance (negative clearance).  Called Electrex, and they were surprised to hear this, but when I advised I was going to mill down the stator plate mounting posts, they said "Yeah, that's what we used to do."  They didn't have the records on how much they cut, but I cut 0.145" and it fits.

I'll see what kind of output I get while running although from everything I've heard and read, it'll probably be low.  I just need enought to work the Baja Kit, but not enough to light up a dark trail.

Barry
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI