Author Topic: Very rare kx500 cylinder  (Read 31845 times)

Offline dave916

Re: Very rare kx500 cylinder
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 06:51:28 AM »
So i guess i have a very rare factory race cylinder (came off a 95) has anyone come across one of these before? I sent my cylinder to kustom kraft to have it sleeved (just my personal preference) and they called me back and told me that there is no sleeve that will match my cylinder mostly because their are two EXTRA exhaust ports that dont exist on any other kx500 cylinder hes ever seen (and he has seen hundreds)and then he tells me that its a very very rare factory race team cylinder which is very likely the case because when i took the cylinder off it had no cut marks ANYWHERE it was totally untouched with no tool marks it looks just like a crude factory cast cylinder but with extra exhaust ports its pretty cool to have such a rare cylinder but now i cant have it sleeved because it will cost big bucks to have a custom sleeve made so i guess its back to plating. If anyone knows anything about it or where it came from please let me know i will also post pics of it when i get it back from plating.

cant see how it is possible to fit 2 extra exhaust ports on a kx ,89on already have 5 ex ports, even if was possibly there would not be enough piston skirt closing at TDC

Motorrad

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 08:12:25 AM »
So i guess i have a very rare factory race cylinder (came off a 95) has anyone come across one of these before? I sent my cylinder to kustom kraft to have it sleeved (just my personal preference) and they called me back and told me that there is no sleeve that will match my cylinder mostly because their are two EXTRA exhaust ports that dont exist on any other kx500 cylinder hes ever seen (and he has seen hundreds)and then he tells me that its a very very rare factory race team cylinder which is very likely the case because when i took the cylinder off it had no cut marks ANYWHERE it was totally untouched with no tool marks it looks just like a crude factory cast cylinder but with extra exhaust ports its pretty cool to have such a rare cylinder but now i cant have it sleeved because it will cost big bucks to have a custom sleeve made so i guess its back to plating. If anyone knows anything about it or where it came from please let me know i will also post pics of it when i get it back from plating.

cant see how it is possible to fit 2 extra exhaust ports on a kx ,89on already have 5 ex ports, even if was possibly there would not be enough piston skirt closing at TDC

I have been stairing at a K5 jug thinking the same thing also...

we have found how to cram 2 more intake ports..     But exaust... has got me...

Offline RoostiusMaximus

• Millar Racing Engines
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 10:15:23 AM »
I solved the intake port  :wink:
hopefully i'll find a chassis to get this motor into.

Offline cobbs

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 11:29:43 AM »
I'm just telling you what kustom kraft told me maybe he ment to say intake but he definently told me exhaust I don't know enough about the kx cylinder to to have known but he told me he tried every sleeve they make for it and none of them would work and I know he's worked on countless kx500s I just hope he didn't mess something up and is now trying to cover his tracks I know my cousin is a two stroke genius and he's owned a couple kx500s and he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with my cylinder so I guess its going to be a mystery until I get it back and if it is a normal cylinder I'm going to be pissed off that he didn't sleeve it very pissed

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 08:32:21 PM »
why does it need a sleeve? Plating would be better IMO.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Motorrad

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 07:33:36 AM »
why does it need a sleeve? Plating would be better IMO.

my thoughts exactly....

Offline cobbs

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 07:18:34 AM »
well I talked to the owner of kustom kraft today and he said for sure they are exhaust ports I told him what you guys told me about there being very very little room for that to be possible and he IS SURE they are there he told me he's sleeved more k5s than he can count and he said he's never seen one like mine he tried every sleeve la sleeve makes and none are even close I told him I had pros (all of you guys) looking into it and that you guys think its a little weird that there could be extra exhaust ports and he said he doesn't care who I talk to he knows for sure I have something special so I will get my cylinder back in a week so I will post pics FOR SURE ohh and the reason I wanted it sleeved is so I don't have to wait 2 and a half weeks to get re plated like I'm doing now I have all the machine tools to bore and hone so I don't have to send it anywhere just buy a piston and go plus the sleeve gives the soft aluminum cylinder some more rigidity plus its A LOT cheaper to bore and hone(free for me) than to ship it somewhere to have it plated plus plating although very hard its also very fragile once you have any kind of proablem they just flake and chip away like mine did plus its easier to seat the rings less chance for blowby those are just my opinions and reason for wanting a sleeve

Motorrad

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 01:57:53 PM »
I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say we were not trying to imply he is wrong etc..  We were all just commenting of out knowledge of port options..  And guessing at what a gem you will be sharing..

I for one can't wait to see it

Offline cobbs

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 02:50:55 PM »
all of you guys have gave me nothing but GOOD advice and opinions and I appreciate it 100% so don't worry about stepping on toes

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 07:56:43 PM »
I suppose it depends on what your after and what you have access to.Are you gonna use a forged piston/rod?
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''

Offline cobbs

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 06:01:08 AM »
I'm still using the the stock rod, bike had very little hours on it and I've decided to go with the cast pro x just because I feel they will out last a wiesco and have they don't expand contract or flex as much as a forged piston does or so I'm told I have always used wiesco in all my bike before and they are  great pistons but  I just know some smart ass people that are into metallurgy and they say to try the cast plus I've been reading on forged vs cast pistons and from what I  read cast is the way to go for longer life

Motorrad

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 06:13:21 AM »
I'm still using the the stock rod, bike had very little hours on it and I've decided to go with the cast pro x just because I feel they will out last a wiesco and have they don't expand contract or flex as much as a forged piston does or so I'm told I have always used wiesco in all my bike before and they are  great pistons but  I just know some smart ass people that are into metallurgy and they say to try the cast plus I've been reading on forged vs cast pistons and from what I  read cast is the way to go for longer life

you should read about cast pistons on this site... or any other Big bore...     Not turning this into a cast vs forged debate again... as we have had enough of those...   just saying..
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,3327.0.html
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:16:01 AM by Motorrad »

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 08:23:44 AM »
I'm still using the the stock rod, bike had very little hours on it and I've decided to go with the cast pro x just because I feel they will out last a wiesco and have they don't expand contract or flex as much as a forged piston does or so I'm told I have always used wiesco in all my bike before and they are  great pistons but  I just know some smart ass people that are into metallurgy and they say to try the cast plus I've been reading on forged vs cast pistons and from what I  read cast is the way to go for longer life

you should read about cast pistons on this site... or any other Big bore...     Not turning this into a cast vs forged debate again... as we have had enough of those...   just saying..
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,3327.0.html

X2.

Offline cobbs

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »
well I read that cast vs forged post and I think I'm more convinced to go with a cast piston even though those pics were pretty gnarly of a failed cast piston, I keep pretty close tab on my clearances and as long as everything stays good and tight I think a cast piston will most definitely out last a forged piston so I'm going to give it a try now don't get me wrong like I said before I have ALWAYS used wiesco in all my bikes and I know they are a quality piston but maybe cast is the way to go for me  this time plus semi pistons are cast and they go through serious hell and A LOT of miles so you would think it would be plenty strong for a dirtbike but that's just my 2 cents 

Offline cobbs

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 06:04:26 PM »
do any of you guys know where I can find a new copper exhaust washer I can't seen to find them anywhere and it seem like a lot of people don't even know there is supposed to be one in there all I here is people replacing the o rings and no mention of the copper exhaust washer (gasket) whatever you want to call it and mine is SHOT its thinner than a piece of paper and I'm definitely not running with out it so if anyone knows where to buy one please let me know I would appreciate it