Author Topic: PORTING SPECS FOR BOTTOM/MID? ANYONE  (Read 2971 times)

MIKECALDERA

PORTING SPECS FOR BOTTOM/MID? ANYONE
« on: July 21, 2004, 03:53:09 PM »
I'm about to port my KX500 myself. Basically, just widening the intake ports without changing the timing. I'm only interested in mid and bottom.

Widening the intake and polishing the exhaust basically.

Any real specs? or must I do it? I can blueprint it and report the specs here.

Give me a freakin bone people....... :twisted:

Dr. Evil

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 05:57:37 PM »
Mike, Doordie does alot of that stuff himself. Send him a PM and I'm sure he can get you going in the right direction  :mrgreen:

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 03:16:09 PM »
Thx Paul !

For the confidence in me about my "little" tuning experince! :D
He email me and we are discussion the topic. :wink:
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 04:30:11 PM »
Quote from: doordie
Thx Paul !

For the confidence in me about my "little" tuning experince! :D
He email me and we are discussion the topic. :wink:

:worship:

MIKECALDERA

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 02:57:51 PM »
Kx500 Cylinder Ported and Exhaust Port Polished. I widened the Scavenger Ports by matching the port to the casting smoothly. I have 2 Kx500 cylinders and Both contained the same casting flaws on the intake side. There is restriction of airflow around the seams on the intake ports. I spent about 3 half days cleaning and polishing my exhaust side and kips valves. My Kips were filled with carbon again. This is the third time this year at 32:1 with and properly jetted carb. I guess I better ride even faster and crank the throttle higher up like Bubba? I did smooth out the top port by "bell shaping" the top triangle port. Bell shaping will hopefully even out my entire powerband and eliminate any HIT or spike in the band. The Intake ports were clean and left rough for mixture of gas/oil/air. Also I replaced my piston again with wiseco. The compression was so high that I completely thrashed the idea of raising my compression ratio by milling the head 1-3 mm. I would crack my ankle kickstarting the beast if I did that. Lord knows I respect my kickstarter after brusing my ankle several times. Anyway I have pictures worth 1000 words but no KX500 yet. I had to weld my muffler bracket back on the frame and stripped everything down like a new Porsche left on my block in Brooklyn NY! I'm kidding its not that bad here........cough cough. I'll let you know by Friday. I'll be ready then. Special thanks to my overseas man Doordie. You da man!

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 06:59:14 AM »
MIKECALDERA!

:oops:  :oops:  :lol:  :lol:   8)  8)

//doordie

MIKECALDERA

KX 500 PORTING RESULTS
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2004, 04:51:22 PM »
Porting Results:
w/ FMF Reeds & Moose Spacer

1) Gained 15% on Low End
2) Gained 20% on Mid
3) No change on upper rpms

Powerband was shifted from mid range to low range.

Pulls much harder at lower RPM and you can't stall it in 5 gear w/ no throttle!!!!
She just continues on her journey.

Results: You must relearn the power characteristics as the power abruptly PULLS not hits much sooner. Its a different type of bike now but still fun to ride.

Conclusion: Unexpected HUGH gains in LOW/MID range making the bike OVERSHOOT jumps until you get acquainted with the Beast II!

All 15% was added in sheer power to the Lower and Mid ranges and none was lost at higher rpm.

Downside: Motor sounds even meaner and louder at lower rpms!

Mike.

You may notice a FLAW on the intake outside ports with metal "Flakes", "Chips" sticking out and obstructing unburned fuel flow. Get rid of this and just quit there. I went nuts! I think that was the greatest gainer for the time spent.

I would pay 200 bucks next time. About 20 hours cleaning and polishing and reshaping, widening and metal splinters in my lungs. Cough... Cough....

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2004, 09:11:26 PM »
MIKECALDERA,

It`s plain hard work to get result! :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
//doordie