Author Topic: kx500 hare scrambles??  (Read 8278 times)

reknelb

kx500 hare scrambles??
« on: August 12, 2004, 05:03:19 PM »
I'm thinking of doing some hare scrambles next year and was wondering if anyone here has done them on a kx500? Any set-up tips or suggestions?
I know of a local guy that has one in his garage that he bought new back in 90-91, he raced it for a couple years and its been stored ever since. My buddies all ride the newer 4 strokes and i want to put them back in thier place :P

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 05:10:43 PM »
The big KX is a most excellent hare scrambler. Just don't run one of them "OLD MAN" Rick weights  :shock: :lol:

Honestly, all the KX needs for hare scrambling is gearing and suspension work, and a steering stabilizer.

Rick

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 08:02:26 AM »
Ouch, Paul, that hurts... :)  

I guess if I always ran good tires, I would like the power delivery better without the flywheel weight.  I'm just too cheap.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 08:15:40 AM »
hahahaha  :mrgreen:

reknelb

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 09:46:38 AM »
How does the flywheel weight affect the higher rpms and gears? Wouldn't you lose hp with added crank weight? I do like the idea of balancing the crank if it really works.
Any truth to the over heating, and jetting problems once the motor is warm? I think I read this on another site.

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 06:31:15 PM »
Paul and Rick!

Be nice to each other!!!! :lol:  :lol:
What`s hare scrambler ? :oops:
Do I like it? :twisted:

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

mikesmith

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 07:46:17 AM »
Jetting is important to get the 500 running good,but its worth the time!Overheating?Ive ridden in 118degrees last summer and I run aluminum radiator guards..no overheating.Doordie Harescrambles is a course through the woods that they race laps in a amount of time (hope I explained that right).

Rick

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 03:25:17 AM »
Yup, correct explanation.

There are two primary types of racing in the west, long single loop events commonly called Hare & Hound, and short course mulit loop events commonly called Hare Scrambles.  In a normal Hare & Hound, the course is comprised of 80-100 miles of trail, and generally covers one long loop or two separate loops with a pit in the middle.  Point to point events also fall into this general category.

In contrast, a Hare Scrambles is a run over a short course, maybe 8-10 miles, and raced for a predetermined time.  The rider who completes the most laps wins.  An example of a Hare Scrambles format is the WORCS series, but an MX track is thrown into the mix of WORCS conpetition.

Along with the Hare & Hound events, the ISDE Qualifiers are another example of a long one loop event, but these have timed checks in the event, as well as special test sections.  However, the format is still more like the Hare & Hound events.  Unfortunately, since the ISDE team has little to do with competing in the Qualifiers anymore, they are on the decline.

Also, because of land restrictions, long one or two loop events like the Hare & Hound are also on the decline.  Another nail in the coffin is the lack of spectator friendliness.  Since sponsorship money follows spectator involvement, the more condensed events like the WORCS series have become the place to make the best money.  This is exactly why Ben and I have moved away from the National Hare & Hound series, and into the world of WORCS racing.  Better sponsorship support.  

As for overheating, a properly jetted 500 will run wonderful in any terrain any time of year.  Remember, the National Hare & Hound series events are run in the desert, with race time temps at or over 100 degrees.  Since every HH event has tight technical sections, if the 500 were prone to overheating, it would not be the front runner more consisitently than any other machine.

Rick

Sharc

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 08:23:54 AM »
Even ballpark jetting is good. I'm a little rich at 3-4K ft, rode it up at 8-9K ft and it ran fine. Almost blubbery, but not an issue at all. Stay away from too lean and it'll run anywhere. Plenty of power without spot-on jetting...Pump gas premium unleaded 50:1 Spectro. Runs great, never fouls plugs, zero spooge, amazing versatile motor. Cant believe they're gone....A legendary offroad tool/toy for sure.

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 01:00:19 PM »
I'm planning on racing hare scrambles this coming summer and some enduros too on the kx500, i've got 14oz. flywheel weight already and just looking for a ballpark figure of what size sprockets to run.  The trails are tight for the most part, especially the enduros.
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Rick

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 02:14:54 PM »
Depends upon your skill level.  I run 14/47 even in hare scrambles and ISDE Qualifiers, but some folks like to drop to something more in the 14/51 range.

Rick

reknelb

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 03:19:47 PM »
I'm in NY too. Are you going to run with wnyoa? I'm hoping to do some of the races in and around rochester. I cant help you out with gearing as I havent really been able to ride this thing yet. I just got it a month or so ago and had to have the shock rebuilt. I took the complete bike apart and repainted the frame black while the shock was at the suspension place. The spray can sky blue wasnt working for me. After stripping the paint I realized why the previous owner painted it, The color underneath was brite orange  :P I have to say my bike is still the ugliest kx500 I've ever seen. 3 different shades of green plastics, a purple bar pad and no graphics :oops:

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 10:14:19 AM »
Thanks Rick, this will be my first time racing, although i've ridden alot.  Reknelb, where are you located!?  I'm about an hour east of rochester and i commute to monroe cc.  I'll be going to all the wnyoa events i can though.  You'll have plenty of time to get your bike back together with all the snow were getting :? I'm new to the 500 thing as well.
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

reknelb

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2005, 11:01:33 AM »
I live west of Rochester, north of Buffalo. Newfane ny. Me and a few buddies want to get out to a few rounds. I'm going to try out my bike with stock gearing.

Minnetonka_Mark

kx500 hare scrambles??
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 12:55:21 AM »
To prepare for Hare Scrambles in very tight woods, over the winter I set up my KX500 with 13/52 gearing,16 ounce flywheel weight, and hand guards.

The idea of the flywheel weight is to reduce the chance of stalling the engine.  After a lot of KX500 kick starts I gradually become exhausted.  An auto clutch would be a fantastic addition.  The bike would be just perfect for tight woods racing with the flywheel weight and auto clutch.  Another idea is the Magura hydraulic clutch.  I lubricated my clutch cable, but the effort required is still very high.

I have not yet run my KX500 in tight woods with the 13/52 gearing and flywheel weight.  I can't wait to try it when Spring arrives.   :D