Author Topic: Lighting on a budget  (Read 11636 times)

Motorrad

Re: Lighting on a budget
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 01:28:24 AM »
Denotes it as "closed course"

Red sticker here in ca

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 07:34:12 AM »
I'll get some pics of the lights in daylight and at night and post them up.

I didn't know there was a requirement to have the lights work without the bike running. That make sense though.

I don't remember what company but they make battery packs that are about the same size as rc battery packs. From what I've read they work great. It would be easy to mount just about anywhere. I'd probably just zip tie it to the inside of the airbox.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Goat

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 01:20:31 PM »
OK I got some pics for you. Remember these are on a quad but should work fine for a bike as well. These are not mounted in their permanent position. I'll be making brackets once I get front fenders. The night time shot I was close to 100 feet in front of the quad and still couldn't tell there were 2 lights going.

It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Goat

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 01:36:02 PM »
Forgot to post video too. Lights don't dim at idle which is nice. I will be doing the same setup on my gf's Suzuki Quadsport soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuOCMym9FOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfdFUui_GrM

Motorrad

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 01:48:34 PM »
Led's arnt DOT approved..   You will fail inspection with them..   If they happen to miss the 3-c in the vin

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 02:33:39 PM »
Luckily NJ did away with bike inspections in 2010. All my bikes are tagged but are not ridden on the street. Maybe cross the road to another trailhead. The Park Police here dont bother with the plated dirtbikes just the non plated bikes that dont look the part and quads.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 03:03:04 PM »
Denotes it as "closed course"

Red sticker here in ca

My 8th digit is a "C"!!!!  Is that bad?  But my bike is a 98 and its a green sticker.... :|
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 03:06:53 PM »
Thanks goat. Gives me a lot to think about. NV is hurting for revenue and they are letting all sorts of stuff be plated. I have a good chance I feel. Especially since I don't have the closed course/competition VIN digit.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline kelcrist

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 04:37:48 PM »
so if you take a vehicle in to dmv that already has a plate and title from another state, will they make you do an inspection other than to verify vin?      here in idaho you can street plate any vehicle you desire. it is your responsibility to ensure it is street legal. there are a lot of road legal dirtbikes in this state.

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 11:22:39 PM »
so if you take a vehicle in to dmv that already has a plate and title from another state, will they make you do an inspection other than to verify vin?      here in idaho you can street plate any vehicle you desire. it is your responsibility to ensure it is street legal. there are a lot of road legal dirtbikes in this state.

If you already have a Plate, probably not. Nothing is certain with DMV. I'd call that states DMV and ask.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Motorrad

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 12:27:36 AM »
here in california..   you have to have a CARB sticker..   even if you have had a plate in another state for YEARS... they will revoke it the second you hit the state without one.

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 12:11:33 PM »
CARB sticker ?

emissions on a 2 stroke bike? No way youd ever pass right?

Enlighten me
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 09:55:59 PM »
Same here on night riding... Just want to have something that passes our DMV.

Soon it will be stand up jetski time! SUPERJETS and 550's!!!

If anyone has never ridden one, TRY IT. you will be hooked.

Here in NH the laws for legally converting a standard issue "COO" document to a DOT title and registering an "off road" bike for street usage is fairly easy. You need DOT tires, headlight, brake/tail light a mirror, horn, and speedometer.  Here's how I cheaply added lighting to my KX500, works great.

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,6603.0.html

If you are interested i'll sell you the complete conversion kit as my KX is all torn apart and I won't be needing the lighting system anymore..
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:58:08 PM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Goat

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 04:43:10 PM »
That is a nice clean setup Polar. I may do that to my K5 when I get it in the 250 frame.

Offline Hyderrat

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
Fore some reason im having trouble finding where to buy the moose coil for my K5 hundy :( Anyone have a link?