Author Topic: KX500 shifter kart build  (Read 81630 times)

Offline Polar-Bus

Re: KX500 shifter kart build
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2013, 11:38:12 AM »

when Can I take it for a spin?

When you pack your bags and move to New England ?   :D   

See all the wicked stupid fun you are missing being a West Coast native ?  LOL
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2013, 11:41:22 AM »
When I rev the engine i see fuel dribbling out the overflow hose. The only thing I can think of is my float height is a bit too high. I am going to try and lower it a bit. I hope the engine vibration is not causing the needle to bounce and flood the carb.

Here's a walk around vid :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=7c0CdkzvcVg&NR=1

haha...that pipe is just F'n obnoxious!!!....I'm liking that silencer too..looks like a GSXR type of slip on?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2013, 11:46:14 AM »
When I rev the engine i see fuel dribbling out the overflow hose. The only thing I can think of is my float height is a bit too high. I am going to try and lower it a bit. I hope the engine vibration is not causing the needle to bounce and flood the carb.

Here's a walk around vid :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=7c0CdkzvcVg&NR=1

haha...that pipe is just F'n obnoxious!!!....I'm liking that silencer too..looks like a GSXR type of slip on?

That's actually a  correct WKA legal C/F  125cc kart silencer. Don't know the brand, I got it used
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2013, 11:54:49 AM »
no kiddin?...looks pretty trick all carbon fiber finished :-D
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline bansheedave

« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2013, 06:29:44 AM »
Any way to redesign the engine mount so it can be soft mounted to reduce vibration?

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2013, 04:19:41 PM »
I have given the 'soft' mount idea some thought as I have 3 250 Ninja's plus have another frame on it's way. A KX5 engine would be fun, but I think it would beat the little Ninja frame to death with a solid mount. Looking at the current bikes that use it and the way they do it I think it would be possible to make a soft set up.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2013, 11:50:37 AM »
Well guys, FINALLY had an opportunity to get the beast out for some testing !!!! And here's what I now know about piloting a 60 hp shifter kart.

1) It VVVVVIIIIIIBBBBBRRRAAATEEESSS ! Vibrates to the point where bolts loosening up and falling out will be a constant battle (read further into todays maiden test session)

2) The G force acceleration thrust is almost enough to make you pass out... well not quite like that, but none the less all I can say is WOW.

3) just a slightly too aggressive blip on the throttle exiting a corner causes a violent loop out. This kart will take skilled finesse to go fast and precise.

My son helped me with the starting and he did shoot a short vid but the quality absolutely sucks after we sent the phone vid to my computer.

So once I knew we could consistently get the kart started and running good in my yard, now it was time to get it to my work where I have a nice empty parking lot to see what we got. First issue is leaking gas out the carb overflow when the engine is running. I'm pretty sure this is simply too high a float height so I dropped the fuel height so hopefully that's the end of the fuel leaking. I was able to start hammering the throttle harder and harder as I go some laps and let me tell ya' this kart is really tough to keep straight ! The violent KX500 powerband hits early and hard and this with the fact i'm putting 100% traction into asphault (not dirt) makes for some sick and squirrely acceleration ! The day unfortunately ended early as the abundant hp actually bent the engine mount stop which allowed the engine to move and then lost my chain tension, and caused the chain to have excessive slop which cause the master link clip to pop off and I threw the chain. So back at the shop for corrective actions and i'll report back as soon as I get more testing in.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2013, 11:55:01 AM »
oh man....we need video of this activity! :-D

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2013, 01:03:35 PM »
Alright, but remember, I was actually scared to go WOT so the vid is only about 3/4 throttle ! You can hear the chain snap at the end of the vid too.   :x

Here it is :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEmzx9_dQe4&feature=youtu.be
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2013, 01:09:41 PM »
Nice!!....I could never get in the seat of that thing....I WOULD die..period.

Actually surprised to see it hook up as good as it was with those small wheels....I can only imagine the rush.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 01:11:42 PM by Foxx4Beaver »

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2013, 01:03:52 AM »
Well, I did a bit more testing today with my son, and to my delight we actually found an easy way to start the kart with simply using a tow strap and pulling the kart with my truck. It's a little tricky especially when the tires are cold. Here's how I finally figured out how to do it. The only gear that allows the engine to bump over is 5th. I also need to use LW's compression release, and we need to get to a speed of about 15-20 mph, and I need to keep using the clutch as the rear tires tend to skip bounce and loose traction. Cold starting is the hardest, once the engine is hot it's way easier.
I also fixed the engine stop by adding a second stop bolt, loctited the engine mount bolts and I also cured the fuel leaking out the overflow hose by dropping the float height. So at this time the kart runs excellent. So now it's time to practice get used to the horrific power and shoot a good vid !
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2013, 03:33:08 AM »
Looking forward to that  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline kkvslayer

« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2013, 03:59:22 AM »
  :-o that thing must be scary to pilot,holy acceleration,you need a bigger parking lot

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2013, 12:06:05 PM »
  :-o that thing must be scary to pilot,holy acceleration,you need a bigger parking lot

Ya your right, I can barely hit 3rd gear, and I already have to be hitting the brakes hard cause i'm running out of parking lot !
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2013, 12:08:09 PM »
I'm dying to see an on board go pro type shot during wot.