Author Topic: gearing  (Read 7304 times)

Motorrad

Re: gearing
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 03:02:52 PM »
well motorrad I guess not useles at all if your running those kind of speeds.  Out here in wyoming its pretty rough terrain,  I just cant use those tall of gears.  If your going up the side of a mountain, narrow road, and sink holes around alot of corners, and big rocks jetting out, I like low gears.  If your pounding up a pretty steep hill full of sage brush as tall as I am sitting on top of the bike, I just dont need tall gears.  If your climbing hills with rock ledges sticking out at the top, and I'm talking hills that some of the top pros in hill climbing, climb on I dont need tall gearing.  I guess it depends on what your doing with a 500.  If your rideing on dirt roads I can see tall gearing open country.  Thats not what I ride at all.  And yes last pro hillclimb I went to I took 5th place in the 40 pro masters class.  I'm 53.

Mine is plated with a set of SuperMoto tires...      and races Local desert... that is all...      (district 38).. Fast and sandy..

Offline awak100

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 03:17:25 PM »
And I guess on top of that the guy said he wanted more hit and 4th and 5th gear wheelies.  I think is what he said.  I just gave it to him.  I have more hit and 4th 5th gear wheelies no problem, just crack the throttle.  13/49 gears?

Offline demographic

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 03:09:32 AM »
16/42 but that's with a seventeen inch rear wheel on the road.

Motorrad

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 05:18:38 AM »

In dirt my 5th is equivalent to 16/45....

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »

In dirt my 5th is equivalent to 16/45....

Team Green used to run 16/42 on their bikes back in the year, good for about 125-130 mph on pavement...... :-D
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline cobbs

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 06:22:49 AM »
well I don't know about you guys but my bike had 15/52 setup on it and it didn't seem to put ANY  power to the ground and felt pretty slow even on acceleration and before you could blink your in 5th maxed out then I swaped out to a 15/45 and wow is all I could say my bike accelerates MUCH FASTER through all the gears and I can still lift it in 4th just with throttle no problem and it will still rip the tire loose in 5th on the dirt too easy so I think if you gear too low It robbs all the k5s potential I'm even thinking of throwing on a 15/42 or 15/40 setup on mine to see what it does but for now I'm a believer in the 15/45 just like Mr Abbot

Offline awak100

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 03:38:38 PM »
I guess my bikes are a piece of s**t.  I have a 99 02 and 04, with topends that are darn near brand new.  On dry pavement 14/47 stock gearing I have to pull on the handlebars to get the frontend up 4th and 5th gears.  Guess I'll have to see whats going on, somethings wrong.  Maybe have to run one up to Billings Mt dyno it.  Its pretty rough country here in wyoming alot of sage brush, hills are steep.  alot of rock.  I can barely do it with 13/49 gears.  I'm not a very good rider though.  I crash alot to.  Best I've done in pro hillclimb is 5th in the 40 pro masters class.  I'm 52 age I guess is getting to me.  Although I had a Captain in the Marine Corps give me this wooden plaque, it says "you never fail until you stop trying" ran track in the Corps, did bad at one interservice meet.  I'll try your big gears, dont think its going to work though.  I'll be slipping the clutch like crazy.  If you see me with left arm cut off, arm pump really bad, so I cut it off.  Problem solved.  47/14 gears 500mph

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 07:03:22 PM »
Hey Demo! Do you have a tach on your bike? was just curious what you are doing on the road at what speed? I was going to go 14/44, but would like to hear first hand what you think.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...